How do I start my own web page?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robert_eb, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Robert_eb

Robert_eb Supporting Actor

Any information would be appreciated.

2. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Are you planning to write your own HTML, or do you have a program to do it?

First of all, as obvious as it may be, you gotta learn how to build one.

Once you got that, you gotta find yourself some webspace. If you use broadband, your ISP might give you a couple megs with your account. if not, there are numerous sites that provide free webspace (but usually with banners, and ads).

Off the top of my head:
    Geocities.com
    Angelfire.com
    Multimania.com (French, but i used to use the, and they're great)

3. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

first :
    i recommend either frontpage2000 / 2002 or macromedia dreamweaver 4 to build all those pages. you dont even need to understand html. i used this book :
    http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...449166-6375809
    i learned the book in a week.
    you need to learn
    - how to put image
    - table
    - linking links
    - text, font, paragraph, color...
    with those basics in mind, you WILL be able to create a simple, but nice website.
    second :
    learn how to design a nice website. i cant really help you with this since i learned this at school ( my minor is in human computer interaction, designing websites was a big part of the lesson ). just make sure you have a main navigation menu on every page you create to help user / visitors navigate your site. be consistent and dont use silly backgrounds. careful with font color versus background color.
    third :
    find a good server.
    these would be a good start ( if you dont want banner ads, and slow server with no tech support )
    http://webservices.cnet.com/html/ais...ting_Plans.asp
    register your domain name www.yourname.com, for example. then find a package that suits you best.

4. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Or better yet, you could get what cost me hundreds of dollars in classes for free! right here:
    http://www.sba.muohio.edu/SERVEPD/MIS235LABS.htm
    the html labs are the last two or three. it's a real easy program to understand...lab 9 is the best

5. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

I am interested in doing a personal page as well.

Investigated the 2 packages recommended and found that Frontpage is a third of the cost of Dreamweaver. The package of choice is a no-brainer for me as a beginner in website design.

6. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

i have never tried frontpage, simply because the rumor that i heard was like "dreamweaver is for the pros, frontpage is for newbies". so i went with dreamweaver. it is powerful, easy to use, not even a single problem so far.

and i heard another rumor that some pages created on frontpage wont work on netscape.

7. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

FrontPage is a little easier to get started with than Dreamweaver. That and the large cost differential make it the better choice for starters in my opinion. But if you end up getting into site building, FrontPage can get on your nerves real quick.

FP has many flaws, most of which are claimed to have been solved with the 2002 version, but few of which actually have been solved. It still messes with your own hand coded HTML and refuses to leave it alone, turning your own code into a bunch of junk that does nothing.

It still screws around with automated navigation creation and turns second level pages into third level pages and third level pages into top level pages. If this isn't bad enough, FP adds a little mystery to the whole situation by doing this only occassionally and inexplicably. This makes it necessary to bypass that feature, which makes the program something of a contradiction...it's suppossed to do that work for you.

FP is crap when it comes to using tables for page layout, which makes it necessary to put tables within tables within tables to get the layout you want...and even then it's very limited.

The Netscape issue really only comes into play when you use one of FP's "doo-dads" that require Microsofts very own server extensions. Your server has to have those installed to use them and even when they do, some Netscape versions don't deal with them well. This is an extremely ridiculous aspect of FrontPage. If you don't have a host with those extensions installed on their servers (and many good hosts won't use them) you need to use CGI scripts or Java to duplicate these doo-dad features only then you go back to the problem of FP not leaving your own code alone.

Dreamweaver does everything better than FrontPage but it's twice the price and harder to get proficient with.

8. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Tip...

organize your site as you would organize a filing cabinet. Keep one subdirectory on your computer and your ISP for each page on your site. This will make the management of the site easier to handle.

9. Jereme D

Jereme D Stunt Coordinator

Frontpage also inserts some proprietary tags into your code. I've had the misfortune of editing pages that were created in Frontpage and they were a real nightmare to work with.

I'll put another vote up for Dreamweaver. I've been using it since version 2. It comes with an excellent tutorial and help system (As do all Macromedia products).

10. Marshall Alsup

Marshall Alsup Second Unit

11. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

Yep, by hand (in my book) is the only way to go [​IMG]
    The tools will do it faster for you but I've always felt I had more control by hand. Here's my current "project", done entirely in homesite, line by line:
    http://www.themanroom.com

12. Andy_S

Andy_S Second Unit

I've been to that site many times [​IMG]

13. ollie_k

ollie_k Stunt Coordinator

Notepad is the best way to learn, then move on to frontpage/dreamweaver/whatever. I use frontpage 2000, mainly for site management, but I agree, it sucks. I hate the garbled mess it turns my handwritten code into.
    But it does have some decent built in javascripts and forms, etc.

Just check my sig for my site

14. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

A nice little freeware app Arachnophilia is a mixture of doing it by hand and having an app help you. Its not WYSIWYG but it does help with the code if you need it. I recommend learning this way for newbies because you can click a button to do something and see the code necessary to make it happen. The text highlighting is also useful and it doesn't interfere with your own code. It really does force you to learn, though.
    http://www.arachnoid.com/arachnophilia/
    The latest version is java based but if you don't want to mess with java, just get version 4.0.

15. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

Computer geek joke:

16. AviTevet

AviTevet Stunt Coordinator

you can also use Web Matrix - download from www.asp.net. It might create ASP.NET code for you without you knowing though, so use at your own risk. I started out with notepad... there's really not a lot to HTML that you need to pay for some tool to create pages. I only use Visual Interdev when I need to write some ASP, and I only use it because it does automatic indenting and syntax highlighting.

17. Kevin Potts

Kevin Potts Second Unit

18. Ryan Wright

Ryan Wright Screenwriter

Robert, once you've actually designed your web page with any of the tools mentioned (you can design on your own PC and "surf" your "web page" on it as well, using Personal Web Server which comes with most Windows distributions), then you've got to find a place to host it.

Your ISP may give you free web space. At the least, I'm sure they'll sell it to you. If not, there are plenty of sites available that will host a web page. Prices range from about $5 a month on up. If you just want a little personal home page, find a cheap place to host it and you're set. If you're doing something for a business, you might want to spend a little more on a better provider.

Have fun...

19. BrianW

BrianW Cinematographer

Brian
    My simple web site (click on the house above) was written in MS Word, and it turned out okay. In MS Word, just click Save-As, and select to save your document as an HTML document.

The applet was written using v1.2 of Sun's Java development system, which is pretty primitive, but it gives you all the power Java has to offer.

20. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Notepad. Ick. Textpad all the way baby. www.textpad.com
    Once you understand what a tag is, and learn a dozen of the basic ones, you can build my site. Doesn't get much more basic than my site.
    Well except the menu at the top is a little tricky. I really wouldn't want to write it, but this guy did. Takes a little bit of time to figure out how to use it, but works well.
    http://www.dhtmlab.com/