What's new

How do I start a petition for SCTV on DVD? (1 Viewer)

AlanBrom

Second Unit
Having John Marley in that (as Leonard Bernstein!) was great, and I think he died shortly after that.

In the "Maudlin's Eleven" spoof, does anyone remember Bobby Bitman singing this at the end?: "Eleven guys with a dream, a dream to pull a heist, and then it all went bad, yeah, it all went bad, OH YEAAAH!"

Matt.Koz

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt Kozlowski
Apparently Shout! Factory has decided upon Season 4 as the first release. Bad news is they've bumped the release to 2004.

Haden

Supporting Actor
That's fine with me. The 4th season was the longest and funniest, with 27 90-minute episodes. It makes sense to release this one first, and then if sales are really good they can release the earlier seasons which had shorter (and weaker) episodes. I'm hoping they'll eventually release season 6 (the Cinemax episodes) too. Those are the only SCTV eps I've never seen.
Wow, to be able to see the full uncut 90 minute episodes again after all these years..... wow :)

Haden

Supporting Actor
Any news on this yet? I just read that a rep from Rhino was at the Wizard World con in Chicago last week discussing other DVD plans. Was anything mentioned of SCTV?

Andrew Radke

Screenwriter
Real Name
Andrew Radke
This should help you out. www.tvshowsondvd.com posted the following information only 2 days ago:
in production for a January release"
Music clearance was a big delay: Eugene Levy says that "Every tune that we used over eight years had to be re-tossed a lot of money just for clearance, to re-license these things"
The DVD release will not be a "complete first-season" package, Levy said. "SCTV" began as a series of half-hour shows but eventually moved to a 90-minute format when the program began airing on NBC. The DVD collection starts with those 90-minute shows...Levy said the decision was made to start the DVD collection with the 90-minute shows because it's always smart to "start with your strongest stuff."
DVD producers are in the process of putting together bonus content for the "SCTV" set, and Levy is ready to play a part in the extras. "They're doing that stuff now and finding whatever footage that they can muster, off-camera stuff or anything else," he said. "There will be commentary. They're trying to organize that."

I for one am looking forward to this set. I remember watching this show with my friends way back when I was a kid. Here in Canada, they air it all the time on The Comedy Network. However, they're the cropped 30 minute episodes.
I have mixed emotions about beginning with season 4. Although it may be better, the set will feel somewhat incomplete, and as it stands there are no guarantees that they'll backtrack and release seasons 1-3 following the release of these ones. If I knew for fact that they were definitely going to release the 30-minute episodes sometime down the road, it would make this purchase a hell of a lot easier.

TerryW

Stunt Coordinator
I hope they call it complete season four and not volume one so if they do backtrack it'll not be confusuing on my shelf!

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if Count Floyd was on in the 4th season? Or the Schmege brothers? I loved most ofthe recurring bits but NEED Count Floyd to be included at the very least. Bobby Bitman would be great - Is there any list of the bits that were working during that season?

Thanks in advance-

AlanBrom

Second Unit
If the fourth season is the 81-82 season, then Count Floyd did make frequent appearances. I believe the 82-83 season was the one that included the remake of "Midnite Cowboy" starring Dr. Tongue and Woody Tobius Jr. This was featured on Count Floyd's "Firing Line."

The Schmenges were also on the 4th season.

GaryA

Auditioning
This is the best DVD news this year...I still have fond memories of sitting up late on Friday nights in college watching Network 90 on the college dorm's TV...

Here's a thought...Since the show didn't really hit its stride until Season 3, and since the first three half-hour seasons are equivalent time-wise to Season 4's 27 90-minute episodes, why don't they just package Seasons 1-3 all together as one set?

My preferred SCTV DVD release schedule would be:

Season 4 (27 eps)

Season 5 (12 90-minute eps)

Seasons 1-3 as a single set

Season 6 (18 45-minute Cinemax eps)+ the ABC Special "The Best of SCTV"

I'm not hooked in with whoever's planning these releases...If anyone thinks these ideas have merit, please pass them on...

"As a Comic, In All Seriousness....."

John Kwong

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JK
Fantastic news! :D Been waiting for this release forever!
Although I understand the reasoning behind releasing Season 4 first, but I hope they do get around to releasing the early seasons. These are the shows I remember the most (being a Canuck, eh?) I loved the roughness and low production quality of the first few seasons, it all added to the hilarity and uniqueness of the show.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Can't wait. If they sell well, they'll definitely release the 30-minute episodes as well - that's the idea I got from the Levy interview.

Mark Schmitt

Stunt Coordinator
Man, I can not wait until January! Although I have been meaning to buy season sets of South Park, Futurama and Family Guy I still have been holding on to my cash for now. But this! I will be getting this as soon as humanly possible!

Does anybody else split a gut whenever they start throwing rag doll people around? The Miracle Worker with Mrs. Prickley sketch was one of the funniest goddamn things I can ever remember! I have to check if it's on Season 4. I haven't seen that one in years. I don't even have it on any of my old Beta tapes. If I still had a Beta player, that is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks