What's new

How do I shutoff SVM on Sony KP-61V80? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I just had my Sony KP-61V80 ISF'd and I nor the tech can figure out how to turn off SVM. The service manual doesn't say a thing about it. Also, switching to "Movie" mode does not eliminate it (it's the same in all modes). We've even contacted some Sony dealers and they have no clue.

Also, the SVM codes (in the service menu) on this TV are not the same as on the XBR and WEGA.

Anyone?

Thanks,

Dave

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Look for anything that says *VM** .... something or other in the service menu.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Actually there is something called "VMID" and above it is "PJE" with the numbers 32 and 102.

I'm still not sure is this is SVM or what to do with it.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

Is this with funny white fonts? If so ... it is a geometry parameter and not SVM.

YOu may be stuck and have to pull wires to get rid of it.

Regards

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Mike, yes it written with funny white fonts. Do you know which wires to pull and where? I've heard they are gray in front panel of the TV - under the speaker grill.

Thanks

Jim A. Banville

Supporting Actor
Turn off the TV for several hours. Pull off the front speaker grille. Remove a cardboard panel. At the base of the CRT on the left should be a small square circuitboard. There should be a thin 2 or 3 wire set with a small white plug attachingit to the board. It should have the words VM beside it on the board. Pull it. Done.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

There's nothing like that on the circuit board of the left CRT - but on the center CRT attached to a circuit board are three different white plugs (does each CRT have an SVM plug?)....on the circuit board next to each of the three white plugs it states:

vm.out

vm.ret

each white plug attached to is red, white, gray wire.

Is this it? And each CRT has an SVM plug?

Thanks

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
On the neck of each gun there will be a set of 2 wires which go from the neck to a central board. This board is the SVM board. Disconnect each set of wires from this board. 3 guns therefore 3 sets of wires. Make sure the TV is off when you do this. Also cover the ends of the wire with electrical tape once you have disconnected them.

Gregg

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Got it! SVM is finally disabled and what an IMPROVEMENT!

The severe edge enhancement I've been seeing is completely gone. DVD movies look much more film-like and not video-like.

It was also (pleasantly) odd to look at the needle pulses pattern and not see the ringing.

Thanks for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks