How do I share/network my new T1 Internet access?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael D. Bunting, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Michael D. Bunting

Michael D. Bunting Screenwriter

Michael
    I recently moved into a new apartment that has T1 Internet service built in. IT's AWESOME!!!!

There is only one access point, in the Kitchen/Dining Room area, and I would like to add one more access point in my extra bedroom/study - so that I'd be able to share printers/scanners/and of course, internet access.

My apartment people set me up with a phone number to call to speak to the folks who installed everything when the apartments were built - along with a short price list of service options. I'm going to call them on Monday to see what they have to say.

What equipment will I most likely need? Will a HUB or a ROUTER work with T1?

I'd like to do this myself (if possible?) and save some cash...they want $100 for a HUB and $35 hour just to install it.

One other question: Will I truly be sharing the T1 access by adding a HUB or ROUTER? Or will I see the same speed on both computers - since this is a T1 connection?

Oh..and will WINDOWS XP be okay as an operating system on both computers?

Any suggestions/reccomendations for me...

Thanks in advance!

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

In all likelihood the way your apartment is set up is probably with a RJ45 (aka etherent aka 10/100 base T) port, meaning you'd run standard CAT5 cable to a PC NIC if you had a single PC.
    To set up a lan off that single you can go two options..
    (Neither of which I'll get into too much detail for a) i'm tired, b) it's late and c) I might get it wrong [​IMG] )
    one is to set up one PC with dual network cards, one hooked up to your live net connection the other directly to your second pc or to a hub...the machine with dual nics then would have to have special gateway software like Wingate (www.wingate.com).
    the other and simpler (IMHO) opinion is to pick yourself up a nice lowend SOHO (small office home office) oriented router. I can highly recommend the 4 port router from Linksys...currently using it at home and at the office.
    http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...35958&loc=1861
    In this scenario, either PC has a single NIC and they both plug directly into the router. The router is then hooked up to your live connection. Bam, you're done. The Linksys router handles local LAN subnet IPs since it can also act as a DHCP server. Given your stated budget, it'll fit the bill quite nicely and no need to pay for installation. There's also a version that also acts as an 802.11b access point as well if you'd like to give wireless net access a go.
    http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...73558&loc=1861
    oh, and either scenario, Win XP (home or pro) would work just fine.

3. Darren Lewis

Darren Lewis Supporting Actor

4. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Ah,

I'd completely forgotten that Win2k (and yes XP) had internet sharing now...

I'd long ago used wingate and although it worked, was just a bit too constraining for my network setup and long ago went the router/internal DHCP route. Much more flexible in general I think. Alas, there are many ways to skin a cat though.

5. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Although you can get away with dual NIC's in a single PC you still have to worry about installing firewalls etc and the first machine has to be on for the second machine to access the web. If you can afford it I highly recomend you pick up a broadband router from SMC, D-link or Linksys and use that to share your connection. Set up is extremely easy and you don't have to worry about firewalls since the router has one built in which makes installing super easy. Besides some of the routers also have a built in printer port (my SMC Baricade does) so I simply connect my printer to the router and anyone on the network can print irregardless of which PC is turned on. Also if you have a printer attached to your PC and the other PC sends a print job your PC will be tempoarily slowed down...its a pain if your playing a game when a print job is sent though[​IMG] The practically networking link above is a fantastic link and I highly recomend you spend some time reading though it...oh and XP is very network friendly with all sorts of wizards etc