How do I set up an MS Outlook account?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Scott D S, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Scott D S

Scott D S Supporting Actor

Scott Saslow
    We have Bellsouth DSL Internet access but the wait for e-mail is interminable. I know most people with web-based e-mail (versus, say, AOL) do it through Microsoft Outlook. What is required to set up an e-mail account on Outlook? This might sound like a stupid question but years of AOL experience has led me to believe e-mail was not a big issue. [​IMG]

2. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

You need to find out the names of your incoming (POP3) and outgoing (SMTP) mail servers. Usually these will be something like "pop.bellsouth.net" and "smtp.bellsouth.net". Customer support should be able to provide you with that information. Outlook has some fairly straightforward wizards for setting up an email account once you have those server names.

3. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I think simply entering "mail.bellsouth.net" in the incoming and outgoing mail server boxes will suffice.

The exact steps taken to set up the account in Outlook will vary between the different versions. In Outlook XP, you click Tools, Email Accounts. Choose Add a new email account, next. The check POP3, next. That's where you enter all the account info. You need your bellsouth sign in name and password, plus the incoming and ougoing server addresses. Try mail.bellsouth.net in both boxes and see what you get. If it doesn't work, the book that came with you install kit will have all that info, or you can log into you mail account at www.bellsouth.net and there are instructions there as well.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

or....as crazy as this sounds...you should be able to call their tech-support too. [​IMG]

setting up email accounts is one of the most often asked questions they get and they (usually) have it down to a science.

they usually set you up on outlook express, but they'll set you up on regular outlook too.

i called a few service providers for my friends and they had me up in minutes. i've never had a problem.

5. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Quick question... Can you set up a Hotmail or Yahoo email account to use with outlook?

6. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

7. Chad Ellinger

Chad Ellinger Second Unit

8. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

CJ
    although hotmail is free through outlook, i dont even use it. the reason is that i get SO many junk mail mesages per day. i had to start another hotmail address, and now that one is flooded. the new one gets 75+ junk mail messages, and at the time of abandon of the other one, i got 300 a day. i use yahoo now, and i only get about 5 a day now, which is way too many i think.

CJ