How do I sell myself on this job?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Charles J P, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Charles J P

Charles J P Cinematographer

CJ Paul
    I have a job interview (phone) coming up (for a technical project manager position). I had to call someone in HR at the company to schedule the interview, but they were screening people and wanted to make sure you at least had a bachelors degree and 2 years experience in project management. I was honest with the person about what I do now and they gave me an interview, but I have only been out of school for over a year and a half. I really want this job, but I am afraid that my job experience and time out of school could hurt me. I work at a very fast paced, extremely demanding job (IT auditor/consultant for a Big 4 accounting firm)where we are responsible for our own projects. Its widely viewed by people who know what we do in the industry (or so I've been told by internal as well as other people) that a years experience doing this is worth 3 years out in the general industry because it is so diverse and so intense. If I really feel like I am qualified for the job, how do I express this without coming off like I'm blowing smoke. They want someone technical and someone who has knowledge of a lot of different platforms, which I do, but I've also never programmed for a job, only in school. Is there anyone out there that does this kind of work that would be willing to offer any advice?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

I would tell them exactly what you said here.

3. David-S

David-S Second Unit

The way i've always looked at it is: If they're willing to "waste" their time interviewing you, they think you're a viable hire, so don't worry about those requirements, and just sell that experience [​IMG]

4. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

What Dave said. Sell yourself just as you did in the very short paragraph.

Presuming that these HR guys know enough to get you an interview with your peers (and it would seem since they are interviewing you, they do), you will presumably be talking with others to whom your qualifications will be apparent.

5. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    I second those advices (done a lot of interviewing). Be calm and don't lie about your experience. Don't push the experience subject, just wait until they ask why you think you qualify for the job. If possible, even wait making your case (about the 1=3 years), until they explicitly state their requirements again and ask you why you still think you may qualify.

If the chance to say it doesn't come up, you will have a chance at the end of the interview, when they give you a possibility to say something yourself (if they don't do that, you can even ask politely if you may add something you think is important, etc.)

Good luck!

Cees