What's new

How do I restore network card settings? (1 Viewer)

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Have an off the shelf Dell Latitude 610, a little old, but works fine. No additional hardware ever installed. Network card is Broadcom NetExtreme 57xx Gigabit C.
Last night while posting to a site it spontaneously switched over to the Intel PROset/Wireless WIFI settings.
Not sure what I had before, don't ever remember setting up anything different.
Anyhow, the Intel PROset is incredibly annoying and very slow. My neighbor and I split the cost of our WIFI and have never had any trouble for years. Now when I try to connect, I get an Intel WIFI connection utility popup, also very slow. I used to get a quick popup screen where I could switch to my neighbors connection but now get a screen saying
"Windows cannot configure this wireless connection, if you have configured another program to manage this wireless connection use that connection"
It mentions starting the WZC service, although it is already running so doesn't have any affect.
Anybody have any suggestions to get the system back to the way it was?

ShowMeCables

Agent
Real Name
Paul
Uninstall the Intel software and let windows do the managing. - I had the same issue with some cisco wifi set up software.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Started to disable this function, but had second thoughts, not wanting to accidentally remove all WI-FI capability then possibly not be able to get it back.
System still works and I was able to install a desktop shortcut from Control Panel that allows me to switch to different WI-FI connections if one isn't as fast. Still don't know what happened, since I wasn't making any changes, it just switched on its own.
I'll probably just let it go until I purchase a new laptop later this year.
Thank you for the advice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks