What's new

How do I research and shop for a new TV? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
After five years with a 36" CRT (Sony WEGA HDTV), and coming out ahead on the household budget, I'm thinking maybe a new TV later this year or early next year. I can start noodling on the idea and the finances, but I'm in no hurry to buy.

So rather than ask "what TV should I buy"
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
I'm wondering where to begin in researching and shopping for a TV. What specs matter? What can be ignored? What should I look at in a big-box store, or what is misleading at a store? What sorts of gotchas are especially important -- be it black level, lamp cost, etc?

My wife and I are now inclined towards flat panels, LCD or Plasma. (maybe a 50"+ for the living room and / or a 32"+ for the bedroom) But if some other technology was that much better or affordable, minds could be changed
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif
(except front projection. that just won't work in my living room.)

chuckg

Supporting Actor
#1 determine a budget. This is the most vitally important thing you can do

#2 basic knowledge of the differing technologies, which can be gleaned from web sites all over. Don't ignore Rear Projection! An RP TV will give you the biggest size per dollar.

#3 what size? See how far back you will sit, how close you will sit, and take a look at the seating distance graph. You may find that the 50" will be too small, or maybe it'll be just fine.

#4 is your budget realistic, based on what you know now?

#5 now that you've got it narrowed to a size, budget, and probably a technology, look critcally at all the possible options - I mena put the sets side-by-side and look at the picture. Adjust the brightness and contrast to make them as similar as possible, and look again. Look closely at how many inputs there are!! You may need more than you think, unless you intend your AVR to switch video for you.

#6 buy it and forget all that you once knew, and don't question your choice!

hodedofome

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Aaron Smith
Might I add to stay away from Vizio and other 'cheap' brands. Not because they are less quality, but because once they are out of warranty, you can't get them fixed. They are throw-away tv's. Stick with Sony, Samsung, Panasonic, Pioneer, Toshiba, LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yacubjkc
Recent bookmarks