How do I repair IE 6 on a W2K machine?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Alf S, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Alf S

Alf S Cinematographer

Alfer
    At least once a month my IE6 decides to crap out...I click on the IE logo to surf, and I get the dreaded "Sorry we've encountered and error, we're closing" message. Usually it pops back to life after a short while, but it's been dead since last night thru this morning. (I'm at work BTW surfing).

I tried to "repair" it but it is no longer listed in my ADD/REMOVE programs section.

Anyone have any ideas how to go about fixing this darn thing?

p.s. I've run AD AWARE, SPYBOT, Norton and did a complete system clean (defrag etc) yet nothing helped out.

Thanks
    A very frustrated Alf [​IMG]

2. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Alf,

How long has it been since you've installed your OS? If it's been longer than a year or two, it may be time to back up all your data files, e-mail box, etc. and do a format/re-install.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

You might have missed it, but don't be insulted.........So you went into "Add/Remove System Components" to look for IE in the "Add/Remove Programs" window and it's not there? There should be a box to uncheck to remove explorer within that window, not a "remove" button with the other software. If that was the problem, you can uncheck to uninstall, reboot, then go back in and check it to reinstall. OR..........download the Mozilla web browser, it's free and way better than IE, IE is the worst.