How do I record VHS onto DVD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dave H, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Dave H

Dave H Producer

I am about to buy a DVD burner for my PC. I have a lot of old VHS material (sporting events from years ago, family, etc.) I want to transfer to DVD. Once I get my DVD burner, what else do I need? I am a complete newbie to this.

Thanks.

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

You will also need a video capture card. I got an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon card, that combines an AGP video card with video capture capabilities including a TV tuner. The ATI Multimedia Center software includes recording and encoding to DVD-compatible MPG2 formats plus scheduled recordings so you can use your PC as a PVR. Once you record to a compatible MPG2 file you need software to author a DVD, I'd recommend TMPGenc-DVD-Author software for that and then burn a DVD using Nero6 software. So besides a good DVD+-RW drive, you need a video capture card with recording and MPG2 encoding software, DVD author software, and DVD burning sotware.

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

4. Chris-C

Chris-C Stunt Coordinator

If you don't want to use a card-you can buy an extenal video capture device (I use Pinnacle's) that will connect via USB 2.0.

Then author with TMPGEnc.

CC

5. Dom P

Dom P Stunt Coordinator

I got a $35 Leadtek card from newegg.com. I just copied some VHS tapes to the PC. Works great. Plus you can watch TV/cable and listen to FM on your PC.

6. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Once I get the Leaktek card, how does your VHS player plug into your PC?

7. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Either composite or s-video depending on the VCR. Audio goes into the sound card's line input.

-Robert

8. Dave H

Dave H Producer

Thanks!

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer

If your VHS tapes aren't in great shape, the All-in-Wonder card will drop a lot of frames. (At least my AIW 7500 does.)

I've heard good things about the Canopus ADVC-100, which converts an analogue signal to DV and connects to the computer via firewire.

10. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

The Canopus box is one of the best external converters you can get. They make capture cards and 3 or 4 models of external boxes. They are a bit more expensive than most other consumer grade capture devices, but they are great units. You can run analog to digital or viceversa. Has audio connections too, so it all plugs into the same box.