What's new

How do I properly ground a satellite? (1 Viewer)

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to know how to properly ground a satellite system to help with ground loop hum. I tried installing a grounding connecter in-line in the coax and running a wire to a metal pipe in the attic but that didn't seem to help. Do I need to somehow ground the dish itself to something metal as well as the coax? All you professional Satellite/Cable TV installers must be able to help with this hum at the equipment level. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't want to risk a cheater-plug and ground-breakers don't with with a satellite I discovered.

Brian

p.s. I'm dealing with Dish Network

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
personally i have never recieved a hum problem from a sat dish not grounded and ive been doing this for five years...

but here ya go ... technically to be properly grounded acording to standards you should have a ground block within 10 feet of entering the house. and the ground wire should be 12 gauge no longer that 16 inches long.... the gound clamp could be grounded to 3 things.

cold water pipe

conduit

ground rod outside that is atleast 8ft to 10ft in the ground.

gound hums can be frustrating... i believe that you are looking at the wrong place to solve this issue.

-are you going through a surge protector? if so bypass that

-are you sure that the dss reciever is causing the noise?

hope this helps, and let us know what the soultion is.

l8rz,

miller

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
I do have a surge protector, but I've never attempted to completely bypass it because of the need for outlets, I've just moved it around to different wall outlets. As for the DSS system.... the hiss is less pronounced when I detach the coax from the back of the Satellite receiver. I can distinctly hear a volume increase when I reconnect the coax.

I would say that the hiss decreased 50% when I disconnect the coax, I have no idea what the remaining hiss can be attributed to.

Thanks for the specs on the proper grounding.

Brian

Adam Krogul

Stunt Coordinator
no when i asked about the surge protector i mean do you have the coax going into it also... if so that could be your problem... also i believe that the dish network reciever has a grounded plug. if this is the case you should try to lift it just to see if it goes away if possible try a different surge protector... you could have a bad ground in the electrical of your house from that outlet....

keep us informed.....

Chip E

Screenwriter
I groung my Sat system to a cold water pipe.... Couldn't get a lock on a signal until i did this. As soon as i grounded it, BAM-signal locked. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks