What's new

How do I "Overclock" my videocard and why? (1 Viewer)

Brian Price

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got a GeForce 3 Ti200 with 64ddr. I have heard about "overclocking" a videocard and wondered how I can do it and what are the advantages to doing it? Thanks!

Brian

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Brian,
Overclocking a CPU or GPU is dependant on Mother Board and
Bios. Some MoBo's don't allow it without adding or removing
"traces" (Pathways) some Bio's do not allow it..
Basicly you adjust the voltage that the AGP port runs on
and this increases the Mhz of the GPU and the Ram's core
speed as well. This is a generalization and lacks no in
depth information.
You can find detailed information at web sites like:
Hard OCP ( www.hardocp.com )
ARS Technica ( www.arstechnica.com )
Void Your Warranty ( www.voidyourwarranty.net )
Fast MHZ ( www.fast-mhz.com )

David_Stein

Second Unit
Real Name
David_Stein
hmmmm... i dont think its tied to overclocking the AGP bus. i think overclocking of the AGP bus (as well as the PCI bus) is just something that all your components had to be able to withstand if you wanted to overclock your cpu and front side bus.

now granted, my video card never overclocked real well so i just kept it at default speed, but i believe the standard way for overclocking nvidia videocards is to either do a registry hack (those sites that brett gave you are wonderful for that, i recommend them all) and then you can adjust the GPU and RAM speed inside your display drivers, or you can get something like powerstrip, i believe it also allows you to adjust those speeds.

basically, you just slowly bump up the speed of each until you cant run benchmarks and games stablely and without visual artifacts. you are going to have 3dmark2002 (or whatever the newest one is) quake3, and all the usual suspects (once again refer to those sites to see what they are using these days) to test stability.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks