What's new

How do I move my TV (1 Viewer)

noahG

Agent
I have a 46" Mitsubishi rear projection TV. I'm moving this month from one apartment to another one, across town, and I'm not sure how I'm going to move the TV. It's almost 200Lbs and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to carry it, even with help, down my stairs. Does anyone have any recommendations for how to get this thing moved effectively and safely? I'm in LA so if any of you other LA folks have some first hand experience with this, it would be greatly appreciated.

SteveMarcR

Grip
Noah,

My honest suggestion would be to look into professional movers. They have insurance for these types of things, and if anything happens, you know you are covered.

It might be more than you intended to pay to move, but think about the cost of new TV to replace your broken one. :frowning:

Especially if you don't have an elevator...

Steve

JustinCox

Agent
I recently purchased a used 65" Mits and experienced some anxiety while trying to figure out how to move the beast. There weren't any stairs involved on either end but it took four of us to lift it into the truck and almost an hour to carefully secure it. Once we got it back to my place, there were only three of us and I'm not supposed to lift much due to blood pressure problems. We ended up taking it apart. I was very nervous but it went well.

Hiring piano movers was going to cost me $150. If I had to do it over again, I would spend the money, even though we managed well enough. As was mentioned, they're insured so if something goes awry, you're covered. Given your stairs and the fact that you can't take the 48" set apart, this would be your best option if you can afford it. If you're like me, your TV is too important to be without if something bad should happen, and too expensive to replace.

Good luck,

J.

noahG

Agent
I think I agree that I need to hire movers. I might as well have them move everything and just save myself the trouble of doing it myself.

anyone out there have any recommendations for local movers in the LA area?

Joey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't have any help but I hear what you're saying. I just managed to move my Sony 36" 36XBR800 to the third floor where I live with extensive help. It weighs about 240lbs and the very difficult part was that the staircase wasn't too wide and the hairpin turns were difficult to navigate. So, while we tried with as much as three or four people and did succeed, there wasn't much room to navigate at all. I am sore today and to be honest - if I had to do it again, I would have opted for in-house delivery. I expect to move within a year and there is no way I am going to even imagine having anything to do with moving it. As much as I love the set, Sony should be outlawed from making sets that heavy. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks