How do I make an MP3 CD-R?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Kevin C Brown, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

I have looked around a little, and haven't really found the answer. I am using burner software that came with my PC, Sonic RecordNow, and it will only let me burn 80 min of MP3 files. (It looks like it will convert to .wav.)

Do I just burn a data disc with the MP3 files?

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

Yes, just burn as a DATA cd.

3. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Yup, that did it.

(Kind of neat actually. Genesis Trespass to Abacab all on one freaking CD-R!)

I'm a little surprised the burning software didn't make a clearer distinction between MP3 -> wav vs MP3 burning.

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Sony's OpenMG Atrac3plus is even cooler. You can fit the entire Genesis library on one CD. A much more efficient codec means less bits for the same sound quality. Too bad it's so proprietary.

5. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

One thing I don't understand about Sony and ATRAC, is that I had the JA333ES MD deck for a while. It had ATRAC level 4.5R or something. Why does most of their consumer stuff now stop at level 3 (or, 3 plus) ?

Sometime, I do need to do some listening tests for kicks. I used EAC and Lame with variable bit rate encoding.

6. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

The original MiniDisc ATRAC (i.e., normal mode on regular MiniDisc decks) and ATRAC3 (LP2, LP4, HiMD) are different beasts. One presumes that ATRAC3 is an improved encoding format (though not improved enough to make up for the bit rate difference between regular ATRAC and LP2).

I haven't seen any ATRAC3 version numbers yet ("ATRAC3, version 2", anyone?).

7. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Right. ATRAC3 really only shares a brand name with the original ATRAC used in MiniDisc. Kind of like Intel re-uses the "Pentium" brand name on completely new chips (Pentium II, III, etc.)

The newer version of ATRAC3 is called "ATRAC3plus" and it sounds really fantastic. I can fit so much music on one CD it's amazing. I mean the entire catalog that I own on CD from favorite artists. Fantastic to put in one of these discs and hit "SHUFFLE". I can't wait to upgrade my in-dash car deck to one compatible.

Note: this is for non-critical portable applications, I don't think there is an ATRAC3plus stereo component.

8. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

9. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

10. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer