How do I know?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TreyP, Feb 18, 2002.

1. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

If my TV is capable of displaying 1080i, how do I know if its displaying 1080i or 480p or whatever?

2. Kevin P

Kevin P Screenwriter

What make/model TV is it? The display or info button on your remote should tell you if you're watching a HD signal.

Most HDTV-ready sets are capable of displaying 480i, 480p and 1080i. A few sets can display 720p.

If you're watching standard cable, VHS, laserdisc, satellite or interlaced DVD, you're watching 480i (which is probably line doubled to 480p by the TV).

If you're watching DVD with a progressive scan player, you're watching 480p.

If you're using a HDTV receiver, it's probably upconverting everything to 1080i, depending on how the receiver is set up. You're definitely getting 1080i (or 720p if your TV handles it) if you're watching a HDTV signal.

3. TreyP

TreyP Stunt Coordinator

I've got an RCA MM36110. I don't have a progressive scan player, and haven't watched any hdtv yet. I'm guessing, by what your saying, the display is done automatically.

4. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

Some TV sets upconvert 480p (or 480i after doubling) to 540p and it is displayed as 1080i which is the same as 540p with every other video frame staggered downward a tad. The quality is not always better than true 480p (or 960i).
    If you really wanted to prove whether 480p is or is not upconverted to 1080i:
    1. Count the scan lines.
    2. Using a paint program make up a graphic display of series of 30 thin horizontal lines occupying consecutive pixel levels (scan lines) and gradually moving to the right in a neat uniform pattern, like:
    .----
    ....----
    .......----
    ..........----
    .............----
    ................----
    Set your computer video to regular VGA 640 x 480 x 60 Hz and feed your computer video into the TV. If the series of lines has a few of the lines doubled and the rest not, we have an upconversion in progress. If the lines were of different colors, detecting upconversion would be easier.
    .----
    ....----
    ....----
    .......----
    ..........----
    .............----
    ................----
    ................----
    ...................----
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm