What's new

How do I know if my receiver is blown, blew, shot, done,etc.? (1 Viewer)

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
Alright so here is the deal. I have a Sony DE-195 stereo receiver. I know its a cheapy. I've had it for about 3-4 years I'd say and it has done an awesmoe job for what I've asked of it. I'm still in college and just a few days ago I came home. I had the DE-195 at school and packed it up for the 4 hour drive home. At school the receiver was awesome and really pushed my Adire Audio HE10.1's well. I can't say the same for when I got home and connected it up again.
First off I also have a pair of KLH 15" 3 way monitors that were my first pair of speakers purchased. They have more bass than the HE10.1's but not the clarity of the 10's. Anyways I connected the receiver to the KLH cause I felt like hearing some decent bass once more. To say the least I was very unimpressed. The sound levels all together are down but mainly the bass is almost nonexistant. If I turn on the bass boost the bass sounds extremely distorted and still not very loud. Usually I'll listen to music with the volume at 25%-40% and push it to half volume or a little bit more to demo the system to people. I can easily put it at half volume and barely feel the bass like I used to. I have found the same results with the HE10.1's hooked up. Also when I try to run a resonance test where it starts at about 10 Hz and works up there is a little pop through the speakers and the receiver goes into protect mode. If I go to the part where its at 20 Hz or 30 Hz it doesn't go into protect mode. So whats the deal? Here are a few of my worries.
1. My speakers are blown.
2. The receiver is blown.

So which is it? I would think the receiver is blown but would it still send out power to the speakers if it was blown? I hope that the receiver is blown because I just ordered my first surround sound recevier, Onkyo 601, but I still hate to see this receiver act like this. I can't stand not having music blasting right now. What do I do? Matt

Matthew Will

Stunt Coordinator
The KLH are still in good condition. They worked well before I left. They haven't been used since August.

I listen to music pretty damn loud sometimes.

Anyways, I think it might be the receiver. I was playing a resonance test for my friends to see if they could figure it out and I started to smell smoke. I didn't see any but I smelled something burning. I turned off the receiver and turned it back on. No more smell of smoke and it still sends out a signal. Like I said, bass still isn't good. I can't wait to get my Onkyo to see if it fixes my problem. Any suggestions guys? Matt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks