How do i know if i need an SVS interface box???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Salvador, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

I recently got a hold of my SVS cs 20-39+ / Samson combo. I crudely calibrated it using my SPL meter and the internal test tones of my 3802. At first i had the mains at 75db and the sub at 80db. When i plugged in my billy idol DVD i wasn't really impressed with the bass i was getting. I was getting well defined bass but it was on the anemic side. So i increased the sub volume control to +5 yielding 85db. I started tinkering some more and when all was said and done i had the sub volume at +8db yielding 90db. So i have my sub calibrated at +15db over my mains. Is this normal? With this setting i'm getting the bass that i expect from an SVS sub. My room is about 10x12x8 so i'm thinking that the sub shouldn't be ran that hot to be able to excite or pressurize my room. Sub placement is in the corner and i also have the gain knob on the samson at 0db.

So i'm thinking maybe i'm one of those rare people who needs the SVS interface box. Can anyone shed some light into this?

2. Salvador

Salvador Second Unit

I was lurking around hometheaterspot and found a post that hit the nail in what i am currently experiencing. Check it out...