How do I know a receiver can power a pair of speakers?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RobertKC, Jan 22, 2005.

1. RobertKC

RobertKC Auditioning

I'm thinking about buying a receiver and a pair of speakers. How do I know if the receiver has enough power to power the speakers I am thinking about purchasing. Will the Denon-3805 be able to power a pair of Definitive Technology BP2002 speakers or Aperion Intimus 522D-PT speakers? How do you determine if this Denon receiver has enough power to power these speakers? In general, how do I determine if a receiver has enough power to power any pair of speakers? Any help would be appreciated.

2. Paul S

Paul S Stunt Coordinator

Very simply check the power requirements of the speaker. All speakers will give you an operating power range i.e. 50 to 250 watts. Simply see how much power your receiver is capable of and go from there. Usually it is not a big deal as just about any receiver will power just about any standard speakers (excluding electrostatics). Generally a 100 watt per channel receiver will power most speakers just fine.

3. mackie

mackie Supporting Actor

I don't think the 3805 will have trouble powering most speakers that are rated 8 ohm and are fairly sensitive. Floor-standing, 4 ohm, inefficient speakers will probably put a strain on it if it's in a large room. However, if you cross your main speakers over at 80hz and use a sub, I don't think you'll have a problem. The Definitive tech speakers you listed have the subs built in so I don't think the 3805 will have any problems with them. I'm not familiar with Aperion so I can't say anything about them.

4. Mitch_J

Mitch_J Stunt Coordinator

Robert, I have a complete 5.1 set of Aperions all running smoothly off a Harmon Kardon 225 AVR It's rated at 55 watts per channel which is plenty to drive my Aperions. You can always go to www.aperionaudio.com and use their forum to ask questions too.

5. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Mitch, what do you think of the 225, and how would you describe the sound from the Aperions?

6. Mitch_J

I'd call them clean without sounding to bright. Imaging is solid and detailed. I've only had them less than 2 weeks but there's no way these babys are going back. I mostly have used them for movies so far and their detail is amazing.
    Although, I've recently hooked up my turntable again after too many years and I listened to The Stones "Midnight Rambler" in stereo mode. I was blown away by the sound and the clean harmonica. I've also listened to Pink Floyd's DSOTM in SACD and it takes you away. I've always been one who loves to sit in the "Sweet Spot" and just listen. Soon I'll have a lot of time to do just that. I certainly do not expect these speakers to get shrill or cause fatigue.

I really like the H/K 225 although I would like to upgrade to a bit more power. But, I got it on open box buy and it was to good to pass up. I needed a AVR to get my theater started. Aperion sells both Onkyo as well as H/K on their site.

They have a new set of speakers out now. the 422's

7. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

Thanks, Mitch. I have the 225 also and am thinking of upgrading my old Boston Acoustics, so I may also need a bit more power. We'll see. It sounds like the Aperions are good for HT but i heard them described as a bit airy for music. It doesn't sound like you would agree with this. I need to look these up next. Thanks again.
    José

8. Mitch_J

Jose,

What's your definition of "airy"?

I think some people might say they're bright.

I would consider them detailed.

Most people consider the H/K to be warm, so it seems to match well with the 522's

9. Jose G

Jose G Supporting Actor

"Airy," as I understood it when I read that description I took as meaning thin. Now he/she very well could have meant "bright." I don't remember where I read that. I do find the HK to be a bit warm, so I will continue to look into this speaker system. I've read good things about that particular model so far. I spent my day reading a closed thread on rockets and ascends, reading up on aperion and swans, and I'm beat. My budget is about IK. I have a small sub that's big enough for my apartment, but some of these package deals with a sub, such as an SVS or HSU are tempting.

10. TommyM

TommyM Auditioning

To answer the original question, the most important 2 things to consider are these:
    1: Impedance matching. Make sure your amplifier is rated for the right ohms 8 for 8 ohm speakers, 4 for 4 ohm. etc. (these being your most popular impedances.) You can damage amp (receiver) and speakers if you don't match.
    and
    2: You can never have too much power... just too little. Too little power can definitely blow not just your amp but also your speakers. The more power you have, the cleaner (to a point) your audio will be. Just be mindful of your levels.