how do i install a port?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by david-drtspike, Aug 15, 2003.

1. david-drtspike

would it be safe to add a port to this custom box.. http://www.sounddomain.com/sku/RTE76110 ? It is 1.2 cub ft, but my 10" sub reccomends 1.3 for ported. would it be safe to add a port? how would it affect the sound? if you think it is not a good idea to add a port, how will it sound to leave it sealed, even though my sub reccomends .75 cub ft for sealed (compared to the 1.2 that the box is).

if you thinks it would be ok, how would i install it? i was thinking that it could be placed on the left side.

thanks for any advice.

2. Mark Soriano

Mark Soriano Extra

1.2 will be fine for your ported 10". You will lose SLQ (Sound Level Quality)ported but gain SLP (Sound Level Pressure), the bass will generally be beefy when porting but the bass wont be as tight if you SEALED your box! In other words: Same Sounding Thud(port) vs Dynamic Boom(seal)! Also when porting a box you need more box area space. Sealed needs less room... ...leaves more room for the golf clubs [​IMG]

If I were you, Id ditch the 10" Ported Box idea and get a 12" Sealed in your 1.2 or 2x10" but you'll need 1.5 for that!

Good Luck
    Mark

Pioneer DEH-P8200R CD Deck w/4.2volt pre-out
    Pioneer 12xCD changer
    2 x 12" JL Audio-W0
    350 wattRMS 350 Zapco Competition Series Amp
    1.0 farret Stinger Capacitor
    Sealed 3.0 cubic/ft BOX
    4 gauge insulated wire

3. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

IMO trying to port an already sealed box will never work out right. your better off just leaving it as is. The port displacement is going to drop down the box size to be too small for the woofer giving it bad sq.

A properly built ported enclosure will have better sound quality than a selaed enclosure but it requires good design and good build quality.

You might want to look into building a new box for yourself.

4. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

The only thing you can do if you're worried about losing space to a port is to STUFF IT!

Chances are it's not very full o stuffing, and a bag of stuffing should help

Brent

5. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

David,
    What is that you're hoping to achieve with adding a port? More SPL? Yes you can get this, but it will not be over the whole range of freq's your sub is playing. You will probably notice a drop in sound quality, ported subs in a car are usually used to create a hump in the frequency response usually somewhere between 30-60hz. This will create the effect that the sub is more powerful becuase you're going to exxagerate the the freq's in which a lot of music has strong bass in.

Also realize that unless you tune it low, you're going to loose low bass. A sealed box rolls of at 12dB/octave, and below the tuning frequency of the vented enclosure it will roll off at 24dB/octave.

If you tell us what woofer you're using and the T/S parameters for it we can give you a better idea of if it will work well or not.

You can fit the port anywhere on the box but a general rule of thumb is to keep the port at least one port diameter away from any obstructions(like enclosure walls). Also make sure to leave the port a few inches of breathing room inside your trunk.

6. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

7. Bob_S

Bob_S Stunt Coordinator

myth? go to caraudioforum.com or soundillusions.net or elitecaraudio.com or sounddomain.com and termpro.com and try and argue that.

Its definetly not a myth. If it was a myth that why is close to every home audio speaker in a ported enclosure?

8. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

It all depends on what circles of "enthusiasts" you ask. In audiophile circles for instance the 2 most recommended subs are The REL Strata and the ACI Titan. Both sealed box designs.