How do I hookup Denon 5800 to projector?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Terry Wysocki, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Terry Wysocki

Terry Wysocki Stunt Coordinator

I got a new system with a Denon 5800, a XP21N projector, a Dish6000 tuner, a cheapo DVD player and VCR. The 5800 is VERY user un-friendly (the manual really stinks!) and it appears that despite having a few thousand jacks on the back of it, I can't accomplish some simple switching. I'm running the 6000 into the VGA inputs of the projector (for quality) but I need to get the DVD and VCR switched thru the 5800. I ran 25' of component cable from the output of the 5800 to the projector (and think I'll use component source from the DVD/VCR) but it doesn't display the menus via those outputs. How should I cable these components to get some use out of the receiver or did I just blow a ton of money on a piece of junk?

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

I don't have this receiver, but I wouldn't be surprised if it never displays menus on the component output, but only on the S-video or composite monitor output. If this is true, then if the projector is your only display you have no choice but to run one of those types of cables to the projector. Then you have to switch the projector source to see the menus.

This is in effect what I do with my Denon AVR-3600, which lacks component inputs or outputs altogether. I just switch the TV to an S-video source for menus, but watch the show on another component-video source. In my case the component video goes straight from the DVD player to the TV, bypassing the receiver.

Also... if your manual is like mine, there are various incredibly inmportant little notes burried in captions in various places throughout. You almost have to study every word on every page to find the tricky stuff. Some of this is on the pages with the connection diagrams, not in the main text where you would think to look for it.

Hope this helps!