What's new

How do I hook up my cable tv to my receiver? (1 Viewer)

vinson

Auditioning
This is a stupid question but it's my first time owning a receiver. I'm wondering what the right way to hook up my tv and cable to my receiver. I do not have a cable box with component outputs. I do have a Denon 3803 receiver. So is the correct way to hook up everything is to hook up the cable to the tv and then hook the tv out to the receiver inputs and then also to hook up the receiver output back to the tv input?

Or is there a way to hook the cable to the receiver and then hook up the tv to the receiver? There is a coaxial input on the receiver but it says its for fm signals so I'm not sure if I'm supposed to hook up my cable to that.

Your help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve*W

Agent
Just hook up the cable to your t.v., then take a pair of audio cables and run them from the audio out on your t.v. to an input on your reciever. You "MAY" have to turn off you t.v. speakers (in your menu) to get the output to work, depends on the t.v..

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You will never run an audio signal from the receiver back to the TV. In general, all audio and video goes into the receiver, and the receiver keeps the audio, and sends the video to the TV. The only exception is for cable TV. Run the cable into the TV, the TV will keep the video and send the audio out to the receiver with the output jacks on the back. Again, make sure your TV speakers are off, because you never want to hear those peices of junk again.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Vinson.

The receiver does not take the direct CATV feed. It would then need a tuner to let you select channel 2/3/...

Most people use the CATV box to decode the channels into L/R/Video and send the L/R to the receiver and the video to the TV.

A VCR can also be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks