How do I hook up a seperate amp to do this?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by EdwinM, Sep 25, 2003.

1. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

I have a Sony DA5es with a 5.1 setup. However, I would like to hook up an amplifier to it so that I can attach 2 surround back speakers. The sony is a 6ch amp for a 6.1 setup, but I would like to add 2 speakers instead of one.

I would like to know if I can use any amp/receiver to accomplish this additional task. Plus, what happens when I adjust the volume at the sony amp? Will the two other speakers increase/decrease in vol accordingly, or will I have to adjust them seperately with the add on amp? I am confused about this setup and would appreciate someone to explain how it is done.

Thanks very much.

2. Tom_Link

Tom_Link Auditioning

If the Sony has pre-amp outputs for the rear signal, you can use a Y-adapter which will allow you to feed the signal into a stereo amp (or receiver). You will need to calibrate the sound level coming from the rear to match the other speakers using the signal level adjustments of the Sony. The volume from the rear will not be exactly the same as the other speakers as you vary the Sony's volume, but at the calibrated level it will be exact. Hope this helps.

3. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

But a lot of amplifiers do not come with a volume control, you have to use a preamp. What happens here?

4. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

Well first off, if you only have a 5.1 receiver, then you will only get 5.1 in surround. if you add 2 more speakers, you will have [from what i understand] 2 rear lefts that play the same thing and two rear rights that play the same thing. Is this what you are looking for?

basically, you will need an extra 2 channels for each surround. you cannot use the internall amp AND use the pre-out at the same time. Therefore, buy two "Y" adapters from ratshaq and connect to your L/R surround pre-outs in the back of your Sony. Then hook the other ends of the "y" jacks to the new amps.

After getting the new amps hooked to the speakers, calibrate your system.

"But a lot of amplifiers do not come with a volume control, you have to use a preamp"

Your sony still is the pre-amp/decoder/processor,
    therefore, all your volume is still controlled thru the Sony.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

6. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

wait, the sony 5es I looked at at crutchfield.com IS ready for a 7.1 setup.

7. Tom_Link

Tom_Link Auditioning

The Crutchfield site has a picture of the rear of this receiver. It does have two pre-outs for the rear surround signal. So, all you need is a separate two channel amp to which these pre-outs can be connected. Then just connect your rear surround speakers to this amp. As far as the volume control, these outputs will be controlled by the volume setting on the Sony. Ideally, the power of the added amp should be close to the watts per channel of the Sony. I would still callibrate the sound level of the rears using a sound meter. If you don't have a sound meter, you can adjust it to what you think is the same level from the other speakers.

8. EdwinM

EdwinM Extra

Thanks for your reply guys. So, what from the old amp/receiver should be connected to the 5es? What I mean is: What connections do I have to make from 2ch amp to the sony? Thanks again

9. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

take a set of RCA's and hook them to the [aux] input on your OLD amp/receiver, and the other end to your "surround back pre-out's" on your sony.

Realize this, that you will have to calibrate your system again to get everything at correct levels.

About VOLUME controls: if you use an OLD receiver with a volume control, remember, your main volume control is still your sony da5es, the volume for you rear surrounds will change when you change the main volume. So once you get calibrated, you shouldnt have to touch anything on the OLD receiver again.

if i dont quite make sense, please ask more precise ?'s