What's new

How do I hook it up? (1 Viewer)

ikagan

Auditioning
Real Name
Ken
Hi There: I have an infinity floor speaker(woofer) with 8 speaker connections. "Left in and Left out-Right in and right out.

Do you have any idea how to hook this up to my Kenwood surround sound system. The only numbers I can find on this speaker is partial-517 c 40331. The beginning numbers are missing. The 2 bookshelf speakers don't have a number on them. The 2 speakers are connected and seem to work. Any imput would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance;

Ikagan

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Just so I understand correctly, the subwoofer has spring-clip type connections for speaker wire only?

Can you verify that there are no RCA-style inputs?

If there are no RCA-style inputs, then you have a passive subwoofer.

Connecting it to your receiver will depend on whether or not your receiver has a set of speaker outputs specifically for the subwoofer (if you can provide the model number of the Kenwood, that would help).

If your receiver doesn't have a subwoofer output (only Left and Right), then you will run speaker wire for both the left and right speaker outputs from the receiver to the left and right inputs on the subwoofer. Then you will run speaker wire from the left and right outputs on the subwoofer to the left and right speakers themselves.

Basically, you're placing the subwoofer between the receiver and the left/right main speakers.

Once it's connected, you can set the crossover frequency on the subwoofer (try starting at about 80 or 100Hz). This will route everything at or below this cutoff frequency to the subwoofer, and everything above the cutoff frequency to your main speakers.

Hope this helps. If I've made any incorrect assumptions, please let me know.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It may be like an old sub I had back in '87. It was a passive model with a passive crossover built in. You ran your left and right speaker wires into the the sub's inputs. You ran speaker wires from the sub's left and right outputs to your speakers. It helped with speakers that did not have much bass but it was far from some of the inexpensive powered subs available today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks