How do I hook a equalizer up to my reciever?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Keith_R, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Keith_R

Keith_R Screenwriter

Kyle
    I just recieved a stereo equalizer as an early X-mas gift( it was ahand-me-down here at the office X-mas party.) Cool gift but I have no idea how to hook it up to my equipment. Can I just plug this new piece of hardware into my reciever using the analog outs into the reciever? how would I do this, what port does it connect to in my reciever? thanks.

Edit: The E.Q has several sets of inputs and outputs in the back. it has a couple that go to a tape deck. The inputs are red and white analog outs. Hope this helps.

2. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

Keith, I may not be right on this but seems to me you would run the speaker wire from the receiver into the equalizer (instead of dirctly to the speakers) and then from the eq to the speakers. What kind of connections are on the back of the EQ?

3. Bryan Acevedo

Bryan Acevedo Second Unit

Actually, your receiver would need something like a tape loop/monitor. What you do is run the LINE LEVEL (not speaker level) outputs from the receiver to the inputs on the EQ. And then run the outputs from the EQ back to the inputs on the receiver. Maybe you can already see a problem with this: How does your receiver get two signals at once? (one from the CD player to send to the EQ, and then the same EQ'd signal from the EQ) This is why your receiver needs to support it, unless you have an outboard amp.

On my Denon 3802, I don't think there is a way for me to hook up an EQ (not that I ever wanted to), because I don't think it has this tape loop.

The other option is to put it inline on the analog outputs from a CD player or whatever to the receiver. But then you can only EQ that source, and not everything else.

I hope this helps, and please correct me if I am wrong.

Bryan

4. Jerry AZ

Jerry AZ Stunt Coordinator

I have one and its hooked up this way.

I run the receiver tape out to the Eq tape in. Then the Eq outputs to the receiver tape in connections. This old Technics I have has a tape Monitor selector that enables me to use the Eq for all inputs. But, I have just ordered an Onkyo 595 that doesn't have a Tape Monitor function.

My eq has two inputs, so I am going to try puting my CD player and cable box analog inputs on the EQ, then take the output to the Tape input on the receiver, so I can at least use it for music. I'll take the digital output from the cable box to the receiver for TV.

5. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

The preferred method, if your reciver supports it, is to remove those little jumper plugs from your receiver's L&R pre-out --> L&R amp-in.

Then you simply get 4 cables and connect the receiver's L&R pre-out to the EQ's L&R in. Then Connect the EQ's L&R-out to the receiver's L&R amp-in.

This way the EQ will be used for every source selection you make on the receiver.

NOTE:

You will probably be degrading the sound quality of your entire system if you use this EQ at all.

Typically unless it is a true 1/3 octave EQ (31 bands) or a parametric EQ, you are better off not using it at all.

Your preference is what really matters though.

Bruce

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne