What's new

How do I HD an HD-Upgradeable? (1 Viewer)

Ozzie

Agent
I just purchased a Mitsu WS 55809...very impressive at the store (I have not received the set yet).
Couple of questions:
1. The set is HD-Upgradeable so how is it that I upgrade to HDTV? Is it through a digital cable box or do I need to buy a specific component to convert the set to HD?
2. Is it worth upgradeing now or should I wait for prices to drop?
I will not use the set until December of this year being that this is when my house will be ready to move in. The reason why I purchased this set so early is beacuse the store where purchased made me "an offer I couldn't refuse."
Any comments on the WS 55809 would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for the help!
:emoji_thumbsup:

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Any comments on the WS 55809 would be greatly appreciated.
I can’t comment on this particular set, Ozzie; but it is possible to make some general statements about upgrading to HD.

You need an HD tuner. There are several on the market and they fall (as far as I am aware) into two general types: tuners only and combination satellite receiver and HD tuner.

The only terrestrial-only tuner that I have seen is made by Samsung and can be had at most retail outlets such as Best Buy for around $600.

Hughes makes a HD receiver, model E86 that is both a Direct TV receiver and HD tuner. It has both satellite and an antenna (or cable) input, so you get the Direct TV HD channels (few as the are) and OTA telecasts for local HD content (NBC, CBS, ABC, PBS & WB). This costs about $500. If you are not replacing a satellite receiver already, the real cost is $500 less the cost of the receiver. Samsung has announced an HD receiver. Don't know cost or availability. I think that Sony has one as well, but I've not seen it.

Therefore, I expect that in addition to the HD tuner or receiver, you will need either an outside (or attic) antenna or HD cable (note that most digital cable is not HD). Your local area may be different than mine (Dallas) where we have no HD cable available. All of our local HD telecasts are OTA, but I’m not close enough for an indoor antenna to be effective.

In summary, you need an HD tuner or receiver and some combination of an antenna, dish, or cable. You might need an antenna rotor is your local stations do not telecast from the same location, as they do in Dallas.

Tuner/receiver is ~$500, good antenna is $100–$150, HD dish, $140.

I’m not too impressed by the current satellite HD content. But Mark Cuban has an HD-sports network that keeps me hopeful.

HD tuners will likely drop in price, but I would not expect a big drop by Christmas. On the other hand, these tuners are mostly electronic (chips), so they have the potential to drop in price rapidly.

customers with free (or very cheap) installation. This could be an incentive to get the receiver now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks