How do I get Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 to transfer files to a CD-RW?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeanR, Jul 10, 2003.

1. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I recently received a hand me down Toshiba Satellite 2805-S402 Laptop from my dad. It has a Toshiba DVD-ROM SD-R2002 CD recordable/rewritable drive. I have not been able to figure out how to transfer files to a cd-rw. I have no problem with cd-r's. When I try to format a cd-rw disc Roxio will not let me do it. It doesn't seem to recognize the disc and when I try to click and drag a file to copy to the cd-rw I get an error message saying that the disc is full or something like that which is out of the question because the disc is brand new. The kicker is my dad copied a file on a cd-rw on his computer and when I put this disc in my machine roxio recognized that is was a cd-rw but I still could not add anymore files to the disc. Also, I had no problems opening this file on my computer. Anybody have any ideas to help me here? Thanks.

2. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

I have had this problem with EZCDC 5 for a while except that it won't even recognize some brands of CD-Rs (not CD-RWs) whereas Nero detects then just fine! I think that this is an inherent bug in EZCDC 5 (since it's clearly not my writer). I won't say that the program is hard-coded only to recognize certain brands, but sometimes that's what it feels like.

I would recommend getting your hands on Nero instead. I've almost completely lost faith in EZCDC because of stupid glitches like this.

3. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

I agree, I've used them both and Nero kicks Roxio in the rear on almost all counts. You can d/l a Nero 30 day demo for free and find overstock copies online after that for $10-15.

One thing to try in Roxio would be to tell it to erase the CD-RW, it might not recognize it because it considers it full (disc is locked.) I seem to remember having that problem once or twice.

4. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i'm on the other side of the fence. i can't stand nero's interface - it drives me bonkers. i exclusively use ezcdc.

however, i mostly use cd-r's. i've only used cd-rw's (am i supposed to use the apostrophe-s here?) a few times, but have not had any problems.

i would suggest you try some different media first.

also, for some reason, i'm thinking of some little dealy-bob that runs in the sys tray? i think when i used cd-rw's i had to have that thing running - but not sure. john may know what i'm yappin' about.

also, are you sure you're using the correct ezcdc project? make sure you're not trying to make a music cd or anything like that.

5. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

If you want to use your CD-RW drive like a floppy, ie drag and drop files to a CD-RW directly from explorer, you need another program.

Nero has a program called InCD that runs in the background and handles that; Roxio has one too, called Direct CD. It works pretty much identically.

7. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    I tried different CD-RW media and got the same results with my Roxio program. I will check out Nero. Thanks for your inputs guys.

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Burning to CD-RW the same way as you burn onto a CD-R should work exactly the same, though. If it doesn't work it might be something with the hardware itself.

The CD-RW's need to be either unused or formatted however.

10. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Kimmo, or anyone? Is InCd part of the Nero program?

I have Nero Xpress now, and I don't see anything like that on its "user-friendly" interface.

Because I am assuming that making a CD-RW act like a floppy drive diskette is what that does, which sounds very useful for doing small data backups?

11. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

I don't think that InCD is included in the express version. With the full version, it's offered as an option at install, so you might check your install disc.

I think the feature is kind of overrated though. With Direct CD, I've had problems with the program since it has to run in the background. It can really bog the system down sometimes.

12. John Watson

John Watson Screenwriter

Thanks Mike, I was kind of afraid that Xpress was a dumbed down version, as it seems to lack at least one feature of an earlier Nero I was using.

I like Xpress tho, especially a feature that allows me to equlaize volumes as between tracks

BTW, believe you're the guy who helped me get it started a a few months ago, so thanks again!

13. DeanR

DeanR Second Unit

Dean
    Well, I solved the problem with Roxio. It turns out that that my dad never had upgraded the software via 2 patches on their website. He doesn't burn too many cd's. I downloaded both patches and was successful transfering files to CD-RW. Thanks for the inputs.