How do I get rid of overscan

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rain, Jun 15, 2001.

1. Rain

Rain Producer

I'm currently in the process of saving up for a nice big TV, but in the meantime I'm stuck with a second rate Zenith.
    One thing that I would like is to at least be able to get rid of the TVs significant overscan in the meantime. I've managed to access the "secret" menu and played around with some of the settings. I've found a way to move the picture left and right, but not to fix the overscan problem.
    Anyone know how to do this?
    ------------------
    Rain

2. Ned

Ned Supporting Actor

Look for settings called something like H-Size (horizontal) and V-Size (vertical). If your service menu has these you can adjust the amount of overscan. You should do this with a dvd like Avia, which has a labelled test pattern rather than just eyeballing regular movies/tv programs.
    Even so, you still want a small amount of overscan, say 2-3%. Often it is set way too high though, 5%+.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater Page

3. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Rain, definitely make such changes using Avia/VE test patterns such as the Crosshatch and Overscan patterns. Shrinking the screen size to reduce overscan can introduce convergence and/or geometry problems which you may have to correct or determine if you want to live with. In addition, the Avia overscan pattern will tell you what percent overscan you have. 5 percnt or so is pretty much the norm on lower end direct view sets in my limited experience at least. I've looked at the overscan on a 10 year old Panasonic 20 inch, a Sharp 20 inch, a JVC 27 inch I'Art and a Toshiba 27A40 and they all pretty much were the same.
    good luck,
    --tom