What's new

How do I get rid of geckos? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
They are all over the place in my new house. Well not everywhere, but they congregate above my glass front door, and every time my girlfriend and/or I open it, they fall on us. Yuk!

I bought bug spray to get rid of bugs. Is there also gecko spray that I somehow missed? SOS

Kyle McKnight

Senior HTF Member
I'd love to have geckos that fall on me everytime I go out the door. That'd make for some fun conversation. "Oh hey, watch out for the geckos." "huh" THUD.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Are you sure they are geckos? I wouldn't be surprised if they were lizards instead.

Out here in New Mexico, lizards are a problem for me too but it doesn't sound like to the same extent they are for you.

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
Well, geckos are a subcategory of lizards. I mean, they could very well be geckos, but without pictures or knowing the species, it's hard to say. "Lizards" is just a larger category that contains many different types of reptiles including bearded dragons, skinks, chameleons, and iguanas.

I realize that in my post above I made it seem like lizards and geckos were two entirely different things. My sentence should have said "I wouldn't be surprised if they were other lizards instead."

But in the end, having these reptiles around can sure cause a lot of problems. I personally don't know of any good way to keep them away. In the southwest, they are everywhere because for a lot of them, it's their natural habitat. And they're so small, they can squeeze through even the tiniest opening.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
I remember my time in the Philipines. I would wake up in bed with geckos crawling around on me. After a short while I realized that they kept the bugs off me so I just learned to live with them.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I saw a lot of geckos when I was living in Thailand. I will also voice the opinion that they eat tons of bugs (especially mosquitos and flies). If they fall on you too much you could always try a net or something above the door so they don't fall all the way down.

Kenneth

Robert_Z

Screenwriter
Yes they are geckos. We have spotted the occasional lizard too, but geckos are definitely more prevalent. It is just irritating to have them fall on me or near me on an almost daily basis. I don't want all my new neighbors see me running around screaming like a schoolgirl when one of those bastards lands in my ear.

For me that may be the lesser of two evils. At least I have bug spray.

Drue Elrick

Stunt Coordinator
While I was living in Austin, I had the same problem. I was on the third floor of a complex and it seemed every two or three weeks there'd be a little flesh/pink colored gecko hanging out above the door. I assumed it could sense the coolness of the apartment inside. And yes, they did run inside. Cute little guys.

Not much you can do about them because I assume they come from the natural areas around the complexes.

I wouldn't worry about them. Catch it and throw it out. What I WOULD worry about is a scorpion getting inside through the air system. Happened to me. *shudder*

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Geckos are very cool. Try putting a small ledge above the door. If you leave your outside light on during the night this may be what's attracting them as they're just following the insects. Geckos eat bugs like you wouldn't believe and they're the only lizards with a voice. Some geckos bark so don't be surprised if they do that too. I say try to live with them and appreciate the service they perform to help keep your entryway free of insects.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I have 2 or 3 tree frogs and a praying mantis hanging around our back porch near the light all the time. Maybe I should add a gecko or 2 to complete the bug eating menagerie. ;)

This reminds me of the ime I was in Nassau touring an old fort as part of a cruise excursion and some woman in the group saw a lizard and said rather loudly to her husband. "hey, look, its a Geico!" I just about died laughing and could not stop for at least 20 minutes, really the whole day, actually I'm rolling on the floor thinking about it now. :D

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
Are you sure it isn't an anole

There are also Brown Anoles, they look like the above but they are, well, brown.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks