How do I get rid of a woodpecker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by James_S, Feb 25, 2003.

1. James_S

James_S Second Unit

Dont' Laugh:b We have a new unwelcome guest at our house…. A woodpecker. He does not “nail” away at the siding on the house nor the trees outside, he seems to like rattling away on the top of our fireplace cap. This started about 3 days ago and of course he is only is rattling away between about 4 and 6 in the morning. Our bedroom is right next to the fireplace flue from the first floor needless to say we don’t need an alarm clock anymore. But is there anything that I can do to get rid of him? Yes I would rather have him pounding away at the fireplace cap then on the siding on the house.

Please help.

2. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

If it gets too bad, there is a thing called a Birdgard you can get, which will keep them away. It is basically a recording of a bird dying that deters others from coming around.

3. Stefan A

Stefan A Second Unit

How about a rock!

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I guess a pellet gun is out of the question?

5. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

I was about to suggest that [​IMG] or a 50BMG.

6. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

too noisy [​IMG]
    perhaps a supressed 10/22 or something [​IMG]

7. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Don't use anvils, ACME style traps never work, they just laugh at you

8. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

I had this problem the moment I moved into my house. I was advised by neighbors to hang 2-3 foot strips of aluminum foil with string, at and around the area the woodpecker is pecking at. It worked perfectly.

I had first tried some non-toxic sticky substance which you can buy at a decent nursery or garden shop and are used to repel them, but it didn't work. Sound can be used too from what I understand.

Strangely, woodpeckers have been known to return to the same exact spot and peck away at it until they make a hole and/or get at whatever they think they're trying to get...bugs, sap etc.

Of course, pecking away at a fireplace cap shows that your little friend ain't too bright [​IMG]

9. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

10. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

That's why it's ACME style [​IMG] Woody never fell for those

11. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

We have a big problem with wood peckers. The right side of our house is 3 stories tall, and it all cedar siding. The wood peckers have drilled about 4-5 holes right through it and into the attack which allows blackbirds to make nests, NOT GOOOD! The ONLY thing that has worked, sadly, is a high powered pellet gun with a scope. We tried pretty much everything else there is, and nothing worked. They are ruining the side of the house so this was our last time, and it has worked very well, obviously. I've gotten alot of them in the last few years, and we've taken out 5 blackbird nests and patched up the holes, but they have started on new ones. It's a never ending battle.

12. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Get one of them fake owls and put it somewhere near the roof.

13. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Holy Guano, anybody listen to that birdgard sound? Don't know if I would rather hear that or a woodpecker at 4am in the morning...

It is odd that they have their sound online, why don't you just download the sound, hook up speakers facing up the chimney, and use like an infrared X10 sensor or some kind of trigger device to signal your PC to play the sound. No need to buy that device if you so choose to go that route.

Maybe the woodpecker thinks your fireplace would make a nice nest and is trying to get through the cap to get in. My sister had problems with birds in her fireplace because her townhouse didn't have a cap. She has one now and it's fixed things.

Jay

14. Anders Englund

Anders Englund Second Unit

And what the hell did they do to the bird to record the sound? [​IMG]

--Anders

15. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

16. John Giddens

John Giddens Stunt Coordinator

Since the subject of Woodpeckers came up, I thought I'd share my Woodpecker experience. This is a picture I took of a large crow-sized Pileated Woodpecker.
    [​IMG]
    His main body is around 17 inches long. He seems as big as my smallest cat. The only reason he stuck around for the pic is my windows are tinted and he couldn't see me. With no exaggeration, you'll know when one of these monsters is pecking your house. Since my windows are tinted he mainly likes to peck at my windows, to the point that I fear he's going to break them. Between him and my annual winter visit from a mating pair of Cardinals,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I can suggest thinking twice about tinting one's windows. I tried the fake Owl to deter their presence and it only worked temporarily, eventually making a nice perch for the Cardinals despite frequent moving. I thought about getting a terror eye, but I figured it was too expensive to only lose it's effectiveness, so I went with my water hose. You need to be stealthy with this method as most of the time they hear the door open and take off. After several attempts though I'm usually able to get them with the water, and they get the picture and stop. This requires retraining of new birds, but I figure it's cheap and worth a shot, and if it doesn't work your not investing anything more than water into it.

17. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

I'm surprised more people haven't suggested a silenced firearm. You'd be surprised what you can do with a quiet but powerful gun.

Seth

18. Dennis Nicholls

Dennis Nicholls Lead Actor

Dennis
    You don't shoot birds with a rifle. That's why the 12 gauge shotgun was invented.

19. Mike Lenthol

Mike Lenthol Second Unit

It's not a shooting, it's an assassination [​IMG]

20. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer