What's new

How do i get my widescreen movies to take up the whole screen? (1 Viewer)

I only buy widescreen movies, and finally just got a widescreen tv this weekend (the 57" sony). Well i put a movie in and it still has the bars. I thought that with the widescreen tv it doesnt have the bars, i thought it would apprear "full screen" but in the proper ratio. If not, then why are the dvds "Enhanced for Widescreen (16x9) tvs"? None of the widescreen modes would take up the whole screen, or if they would, they would cut off some of the picture.

Any help would be helpful.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Peter,

What movie were you watching? Check the back of the DVD and look at the aspect ratio. It is 1.85:1 or 1.78:1? (most movies fall into 1.85, TV programs shot in widescreen will usually be 1.78, like The Sopranos, 24, CSI, etc.) If so, the picture should completely fill your widescreen display. Also make sure the movie you're watching is ANAMORPHIC widescreen. If it's not anamorphic, it's gonna be just like watching a movie on your 4x3 television.

If the movie is 2.35:1, 2.40:1 or some variation along those lines, the movie was shot in CinemaScope or extreme widescreen (movies like Indiana Jones, Lawrence of Arabia, Patton, etc.) Because the aspect ratio provides a much thinner picture. you will still notice black bars at the top and bottom of your screen, but they will be MUCH SMALLER than what you were used to seeing on your 4x3 display.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
And what Mike said is the same thing in the link Chun provided.

Check the primer, tons of useful info in there.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Watch in Original Aspect Ratio..... Don't sweat the bars. Actually HDTV currently, has more bvars than ever, sides, tops.. Just get used to it. It is just going to be part of it all, for a long time to come.

Chris White

Second Unit
One of the reasons those black bars you get with a 2.35:1 picture can be annoying is that, due to light diffusion, they aren't really black. Compared to a true black, they're more like dark gray.

You might want to consider creating black mattes. It's a very worthwhile DIY project.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Welcome to the forum, Peter.

If you want to read about those mattes, you may want to look here too.

Your TV screen isn't made of rubber, so you will never be able to fill it exactly with every movie around. Unless you don't mind chopping off (or having chopped off) part of the image you paid for.

So, naturally, you could better adjust your screen to the movie at hand (like they do in theaters) and the positive effect on the image appears to be stunning, as an extra, sort of.

Cees

thanks guys. I read through the FAQ thing, VERY VERY informative. Ill check back with anymore questions that i get. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks