What's new

How do i get my ribs to be tender? (1 Viewer)

Russell B

Stunt Coordinator
How does one cook baby backs or any other ribs at home to get them tender like they do at Tony Romas, Tahoe Joes, or any other restaurant that has ribs? Anyone work at any of these places that can give me tips?

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Try double wrapping them in heavy duty foil while they cook at 225. If that doesn't get them tender, nothing will.

NicholasL

Second Unit
I used to be a waiter at Tony Romas. The secret is they bake the ribs on low heat for hours. Then once the order is put in, they slap the ribs on the grill for about 5-7 minutes, and smother sauce on them about 1 minute before they are done.

Mark Hayenga

Supporting Actor
3 hrs on the electric smoker does it for me. Meat just slides off the bone, tender as can be. I always found oven baked too moist.

Kevin Thompson

Stunt Coordinator
If you're near Philadelphia, hire Rocky Balboa to pound your meat--does the job every time.

Slow cooking seems to be the key, whether in a smoker or in the oven.

Good luck!

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Try this in the smoker
2 hours at 225 w/out foil
2 hours at 225 w/ foil
2 minutes meat side down on a super hot grill to crisp them up.

Works every time.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
My g/f used to throw them on the grill for a few minutes. then wrap them in plastic foil and then tin foil then cook them in the oven to finish them off.

Lately she been cooking them slowly in a crock. Puts them on at lunch and when we get home, they melt off the bone.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Yoshi’s suggestion will work. Better yet (in my experience) is to parboil the ribs—that is put the ribs in rapidly boiling water for a while (15 minutes is probably a good place to start), but just in a pan, not a pressure cooker.

Remove, drain and dry. Now these ribs are ready to go on the grill. They will wind up tender due to the precooking, but also crisp and browned on the outside because of the grilling.

Of course you can glaze with a sauce of your choice.

You can’t miss with this approach.

Tim Morton

Stunt Coordinator
my brother-in-law makes the BEST ribs....he does a great fruit juice and maple sugar based sauce and bastes them on his weber charcoal grill. He uses the rib rack so they stand on end over a mellow indirect heat. Generally he has 2 grills going at once (both charcoal) He just stands out there for about an hour and a half basting them and switching the ribs between the 2 grills...I could easily eat myself to death when they are done.

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I usually boil mine for an hour before throwing them on the grill. I get nothing but compliments from others that have tried them.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
The only problem with boiling is you boil out a lot of the meat flavor (don't believe me? taste the water when you are done to see where the flavor went) and are forced to compensate with a lot of sauce, rub or mop. It definately will work but boiling a steak will make it tender also, it will just need a lot more A1. Any major bbq forum will tell you not to boil, unless tenderness is the only thing you desire.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks