1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

HOW DO i GET MUSIC THRU 5.1?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Geno, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

i CANT SEEM TO GET AUDIO CD'S TO COME OUT OF ALL MY SPEAKERS. i WOULD LIKE TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE SUB. IVE HEARD MANY PEOPLE HERE SAY THEY USE THEIR SUB FOR MUSIC.

HOW DO i DO THAT???

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

The only way to get actual music in real 5.1 is to buy a multichannel formal like DTS CDs, DVD-A, SACD, etc. CD is a 2.0 format, so you'll never get "5.1" from it.

However- you should get subwoofer. With speakers set to small and playing back in any mode other than "direct" should route any low freq sound from the mains to the sub (this is true for any source, CD, VHS, Cassette, Video Games, whatever).

Cd is a 2 channel source so you won't get 5.1, won't get surround natively- but the sub should be active on any material if your speakers are set to small...

If you're looking for rear channel action from 2 channel CDs you have to apply some sort of DSP to fake it into surround. You could try turning on Pro Logic 2 processing if your receiver supports it, and this will have some effect- some CDs work better with it than others.

3. Geno

Geno Supporting Actor

VINCE, THATS A SIMPLE SOLUTIONS i NEVER THOUGHT OF, THANKS.

4. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Stunt Coordinator

Music sounds OK in Pro Logic but the center channel is a little overactive when compared with a true 5 channel audio setup. I personally prefer the 5 channel stereo setting for music as opposed to Pro Logic. While there are only two channels, all of the speakers in my system play equally which is nice for ambient music listening. I'm assuming the center channel is matrixed left and right in this case.