How do I get more HP???

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Scott McGillivray, Dec 16, 2004.

1. Scott McGillivray

Scott McGillivray Supporting Actor

Hi Gang!

I recently bought a 2005 Toyota Solara SE Sport. It is a great car and I am really happy with it. However, in a typical guys never ending questing to upgrade, I am really curious how one would increase the horsepower on the 6 cyl engine by 75hp or so.

Toyota used to make a bolt-on supercharger for the Solara, but not for my model year (typical!)

I am just looking for suggestions.

Thanks!!!

2. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Suggest checking out a toyota forum, there's a bunch of big ones.

Could go the ricer route, intake, header, and exhaust but it's expensive for the probably 10 hp you'll gain. I'd look for an aftermarket turbo kit [​IMG]

3. Todd Hochard

Todd Hochard Cinematographer

If you want 75hp out of an already-somewhat-optimized 6cyl, your only choices are forced induction or nitrous.

4. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Not a fan of the N20. By the time you get it setup correctly with a blanket, remote shutoff etc you're looking at $800 bucks anyway, then 30+ each time that tank is empty, which was about every 1-2 weeks for me with a 50 shot.

once it's done (turbo) all the air you can cram through the TB is free [​IMG]

5. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

blower or turbo

6. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'd wait for a TRD supercharger to come out. Shouldn't take long I would imagine and factory supported.

7. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

When I read the subject, I thought you were seeking additional hit points.

Shows what a geek I am.

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Back to the dungeon!

9. Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy Producer

That easy, at your next experience level multiclass to a barbarian. the d12 hit de is the largest of the game.

10. MikeSerrano

MikeSerrano Second Unit

When I read the subject, I thought you were seeking additional Hewlett Packard gear (like the HP iPod).

Shows what a computer geek *I* am.

-Mike

11. Andrew W

Andrew W Supporting Actor

Bolt on intake, exhaust and other crud are snake oil. There are really only three legitimate ways to get more HP.

1) Turbocharger

2) Superchargers
    Mfgs are making it much harder to add aftermarket stuff though by the way they program the computers.

IF you do 1 or 2, a bigger exhaust may be necessary to get full benefit, but a bigger exhaust on a stock natural aspirated engine is a waste of money unless you like the sound.

3) Have your PCM reprogrammed. This will usually require a change to 93 octane gas.

12. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

Not sure how much it's going to help on an NA car, but it's worth a shot.

How is the solara timed? You could bump the timing a couple degrees and pick up a couple ponies for free more than likely.

13. Matt Souza

Matt Souza Agent

This would be my third upgrade, usually cars from the factory are tuned VERY conservative (unless you get a real sports car, thats a different story) Factory cars need to satisfy a very wide range of people, and they don't like having to keep a highly tuned engine at it's optimum for the life of the car. A good tuner can get 15% more HP just by changing the parameters in the ECU, but you will need to run a better gas to take advantage of the changes.

One of the easiest tricks of the drag racing folks, which is a personal choice for you, is dropping weight. Getting the car lighter is the cheapest method to make it faster, but for a daily driver that might not be practical [​IMG]

have fun!

14. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I'd really be surprised if you can show me a dyno proving more than ~10 hp in gains for that oh, 800 bucks.

15. Matt Souza

Matt Souza Agent

I never said it was going to be cheap, and I don't work on toy's [​IMG], but you should easily be able to get 20hp, and you'll be setting yourself up for upgrades later on that will need the better intake and exhaust. 20hp on a 225hp engine is almost 10%, that's not bad if you ask me.

16. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

It is when you could go FI for probably less than 2k if you know what you're doing and a manifold is available.

17. Matt Souza

Matt Souza Agent

I bet your gonna spend a bunch more then 2k for a V6 turbo kit, does anybody really play with v6's in the import crowd? I mostly see 4's, those are easy to turbo, but a v6 will take more creative tinkering with the headers for a single turbo, a twin turbo is the hot ticket, but $$$$$

don't for get, you'll need to to remap the ecu for the turbo also, or get a piggy back ecu [​IMG]

how fast do you want to go? Cheap, Fast, Reliable. Pick the two you want.

18. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

No, not the case at all. And who said anything about using a kit?

The mani is the tough part, find a T2 mani, a small, used turbo, you can cheat the remap by running a rising rate fuel pressure regulator and cramming mroe fuel in under boost up to probably 6 or 8 PSI..if the stock pump is up for it. beyond that a piggyback like the greddy emanage (less than 200 bucks) should work fine unless the ECU has problems with it but I doubt it.
    Custom downpipe, some custom oil and coolant lines, and an intercooler if you really want to get crazy and you're done. Course you'll need to pull some timing, and without something like the emanage you'll be stuck at say, 6 degrees static...

Suggest reading "maximum boost" by corky bell.

but what do I know, I run a forum for turbo miatas.

19. Matt Souza

Matt Souza Agent

your assuming everyone knows HOW to do these things [​IMG] Do you know where to find a single turbo exhaust header for a v6? One that will fit in the engine bay? No, now your talking about two turbos, etc. etc....

I'm not saying it can't be done, just being realistic. It really is easy to go FI on a straight 4 like the miatas, but this is about a v6. And yes, I have read maximum boost.

20. AjayM

AjayM Screenwriter

Trade the car in for one that has the power you want, this will be the absolute cheapest way to get what you want.

Past that the only way you're going to gain 75hp is forced induction or to yank the engine and rebuild it. Even with forced induction that amount of power is probably going to push the stock fuel system well past any "safe limits", even with a rising rate pressure regulator, etc. Custom ECU and fuel system tend to drive the costs through the roof. You'll also have issues with the 10.8:1 compression ratio, mixed with engine internals that were never designed for forced induction (and who knows if they are built with any strength in mind). A 33% gain in power on a car that was never designed for it can be an issue.

Next how is that auto transmission going to cope with the extra power? Does anybody make any upgraded parts to handle the extra power? Going to upgrade the brakes and suspension as well?