How do I get local HD channels on my HDTV?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Wes_G, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Wes_G

Wes_G Auditioning

Can someone give me the basics on what I need in order to receive the HD channels on my HDTV? I hear are freely broadcast in my city, but I heard I need a special antenna to pick them up.

2. John S

John S Producer

If your TV has a built in ATSC HDTV Tuner you need only an antenna. (get one that does both UHF and VHF as I think in the New York area there are a couple on VHF)

Without the built in HDTV Tuner you need an external Tunter, often times called a set top box, you would still need the antenna, and most likely some Component Video cables to make the connect to your TV.

If you need / want the tuner, do some searches, there are many below $300, and the better deals get you just below the $200 price point on them.

3. Wes_G

Wes_G Auditioning

My TV is a Philips 60PW9383 if it helps. I was told it had everything built in. Where am I going to look to see if it has this receiver built in?

4. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Judging from this "This 60” 16:9 High Definition Display television is capable of producing a full 1080i signal via a digital set top box." it doesn't appear to have a built-in OTA tuner. This was taken from the Philips website. So you will need to do what John said and get a set top box.

You may also want to check with your sat or cable company to see if they are offering an HD package.

Tod

5. John S

John S Producer

The TV is billed as an HDTV Ready and/or HDTV Monitor.
    That means it does not contain an ATSC tuner.

I own a very similar Philips TV, and have been veyr happy with it so far. (nearly 2 months now)

6. Wes_G

Wes_G Auditioning

Well, darn...thanks for the input. I was hoping the Samsung HD931 was ggoing to be my last major purchase for awhile.

BTW I have had this unit for about 5 months now and have only the highest praise for it. No problems at all so far.

7. John S

John S Producer

By the new Motorola (I think anyways) that they sell at Circuit City for $299 and review it here..... lol

I almost bought it, but went with a nearly $100 cheaper open box Zenith HDV-420....

8. David.O

David.O Auditioning

I found a website that is really good in showing what local channels are available in your area. You can just enter an adress or zipcode and you can see what is available. You may have to email me for it because it is tied to a website for a manufacturer of antennas (I'm not promoting them - it's just a handy tool!)

9. Dave Schofield

Dave Schofield Second Unit

10. dougW

dougW Stunt Coordinator