How do I get local channels that are not carried by Direct TV?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Youssef, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Youssef

Youssef Stunt Coordinator

I just got Direct TV and it is MUCH better than the crappy AT&T cable i was getting before. My ONLY complaint is that some of the local channels are not carried by Direct TV yet. I did subscribe to the local channels plan BUT it does not carry UPN and that is one of the MOST watched channels in the house (me and my sis are like addicted to Friends and Simpsons reruns).
    So i was wondering if an indoor antenna would help me get the local channels. Any suggestions for a good brand? i have a HD widescreen tv so i was hoping to get a strong antenna that would be able to deliver at least a descent picture.
    p.s. i also called in to direct tv and asked them if they would be carrying UPN. They told me its Tenatively scheduled for jan. of 2002. don't know if they will make good on their promise or not. By the way, what is taking so long for the dish networks to get the local channels? I believe this is the reason why people are holding back on Sattelite.

2. Brian Mello

Brian Mello Stunt Coordinator

I think your only two choices are an antenna or cable TV. The reason it is taking so long to add local channels and UPN is that there is only so much space available. That is why many long time DirecTV subscribers complain about the poor picture quality. They are overcompressing the available space and sacrificing picture quality. I believe DirecTV is planning on lauching another Satellite soon which will free up space.

3. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

Check with your cable company and see if they have something called life line cable..TWC does which is a local channel only package for about 11 a month...
    ------------------

4. Larry Schneider

Larry Schneider Second Unit

The primary reason more channels aren't carried is satellite capacity. In October (I think) DirecTV is launching another satellite with "spot beam" capability. They can focus the signal from one transponder on, say Los Angeles and carry all the local channels. This will free up the regular nationwide capacity for more channels and possibly a better picture. Wait.

5. Devin Rowe

Devin Rowe Auditioning

You may already know this but it was new to me. The current word is that if you are in an area that DirecTV has locals, when Jan 1, 02 rolls around you should get any other locals that requested Must Carry. I saw this info at avsforum.
    Devin