What's new

How do I get live audio onto a CD? (1 Viewer)

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
My church wants to be able to offer CD's of the recorded sermons instead of analog tapes. So I'm looking for a way to record off a sound board and somehow burn it onto a CD. Would mini-disc work for this? Is there some way it can interface with a PC for CD mastering? Or would it require something else all together? I'm realy more of a playback guy and don't know much about the recording/duping options out there.

Any suggestions?

-EJ

Kevin T

Screenwriter
i think minidisc would be the best way because of the ease of editability involved. however, i couldn't tell you how to go indepth from patching from a soundboard since i'm unfamiliar with that. i'd imagine though that a portable recorder with a digital input could be connected to the soundboard and record the sermon. then you would need to hook it up to a computer via minijack to minijack or minijack to rca depending upon your soundcard. i'm sure there is a bit more involved in the process but i whole heartedly endorse minidisc for this use...blanks are cheap plus you can record erase record up to a million times on a single disc without any degradation in sound quality (however the sliding door mechanism is likely to give out long before the million mark).
kevin t
ps...you could also get a minidisc deck and use the recorded minidisc and input it via the decks digital out into the digital in of your soundcard...this all assumes you have a capable soundcard on your computer.
for more info go to:
http://www.minidiscussion.com
http://www.minidisco.com (blanks, decks, portables...)

CRyan

Screenwriter
You may want to ask an admin to move this to the computer forum. The geeks can help you out there.

Anyway, why not just hook a laptop right into the sound board? Right to digital wav files using a recording program and you are set.

Otherwise, you are going to have to jump through a few hoops.

MD is one way to do this. Record to the MD deck. Hook the deck up to your PC via USB, optical input, or phono jack - transfer to the PC, convert to needed file type and burn.

DAT would be another way if you have the supporting hardware. Similar step to the MD situation but better quality.

Anyway, this all depends on what kind of audio outputs are available from the sound board and what kind of inputs your PC has.

C. Ryan

Kevin P

Screenwriter
If you don't need to do editing but just record the entire sermon to CD in real-time just hook up a standalone CD recorder to the mixing console. It can be connected the same way as a cassette deck.

I recommend a pro deck (Tascam, etc.) since it will take computer blanks and doesn't use SCMS to restrict copies. In any case, once you have the "master" disc you can use a PC to make copies for distribution.

Or you could hook the PC directly into the console, record the sermon to a WAV file (better have a big hard drive), then burn CDs from that.

KJP

Eric M Jones

Second Unit
So if I wanted to go the computer connected to the sound console route what would be a good audio program to use for this?

-EJ

Shayne Lebrun

Screenwriter
sndrec32, which has been included with every version of Windows since, I believe, 3.11, is perfectly adequate. Otherwise, cooledit is always good.
Plug in the computer, record directly to file, then burn it at leisure. Note that for one hour of CD quality stereo audio, you're looking at ~640 megabytes of disk space.
http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...nested&tid=137 is a discussion about doing much the same thing, only it's university lectures instead of sermons.

Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Eric,
I just had a similar conversation with a friend of mine. I suggested that they record directly to a pc and then convert the files into a MP3 format. That way a month or so of sermons could be placed onto one CD. If compressed enough, probably an entire year of sermons could be on one CD. That is IF your preacher/priest isn't to long winded. :)
Plus it would allow easy access from their web site without major download time. MP3 files can be compressed pretty much when used with spoken words without losing enough quality to listen to them.
Glenn

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks