How do i get DTS to work?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Allen Marshall, Nov 17, 2003.

1. Allen Marshall

Allen Marshall Supporting Actor

i want to see what DTS sounds like, but cant get it to work!

i've tried turning dd decoder on and dts decoder on at the sametime on my dvd player, i tried dts and no dd, i tried dd and no dts, i tried niether and i still cant get DTS Neo 6: Cinema to work, i have my input on DVD DTS to, i put in a DTS movie, people said something about a bitstream thing, my dvd player doesnt give me any options that have to do with bitstream or atleast im pretty sure it doesnt, any ideas?

my reciever is a Yamaha HTR-5640

and my dvd player is a Samsung DVD-V1000 which is a dvd/vcr player.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    How do you have it connected to the receiver? You must use mutli-channel analog or digital (optical or coaxial) to get Digital sound. You CANNOT get DTS, or Dolby Digital for that matter, via stereo analog. If you set the receiver to "Auto", put in a DVD, and it defaults to NEO:6 or PLII, you have something connected or setup incorrectly.

3. Clint

Clint Stunt Coordinator

Allen,

If you want I can walk you through via phone to troubleshoot for you. I live in Chicago, send me a personal email if you are interested.

4. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

5. Allen Marshall

alright, i got an optical cord going from my reciever to my dvd player, when i put dvd auto on instead of dvd dts, it turns of the dts symbol on the reciever and says DOLBY DIGITAL instead, now when a movie splaying it eliminates my pro logic options and neo 6 options to just DOLBY DIGITAL or enhanced, when i put it on DVD DTS after i put it on Neo 6: Cinema it will say DTS in big words, wont work, and i tried a couple of dvd's with DTS. The only way it will stay DTS is if i keep it on dvd dts but no sound comes out that way, the second i switch it to DVD auto, even though the DTS decoder is on and its on Neo 6 it dissappears right away and says DOLBY DIGITAL, there's a couple variations for one button, pro logic, pro logic 2 movie, pro logic 2 music, enhanced, neo 6: cinema and neo 6: music but before i go into neo 6 it flashes DTS before it shows the mode which gave me reason to believe that that was the mode i want it on for DTS. Is it humanly possible to doesnt want to work because i have 2 red and blues goin from the dvd player to the reciever so xbox will come out of my speakers?

6. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

Allen,

Page 37 of your manual says to set DTS decoder to YES (i.e your receiver has a decoder) - this will make the player output a DTS bitstream on the optical connexion.

It was probably set to NO when you bought it, and the onboard decoder was used, and that would put the audio out thru the 2ch analog, which would explain why you would see DTS: Neo on the receiver.

7. Jon_Krug

Jon_Krug Stunt Coordinator

actually, your problem might me alot simpler than u think. when u start up the movie, it should start playing in dolby digital. in the menu screen (for the dvd - not the dvd player, and not the receiver), go to the sound options and change it to dts. once u do that, your receiver should automatically switch to dts.

8. Allen Marshall

my dvd player doesnt give me any onscreen options when there's a movie in there, i have to do everything without a cd in there

9. Allen Marshall

i dont have acrobat reader cause of some virus problems but i already tried the DTS decoder thing, that didnt do anything, and i've gone through all the options on my reciever, the only thing DTS related is DVD DTS

10. Jarvis_R

Jarvis_R Agent

I think what Jon means is the menu for the actual movie, not your player. Every DTS disc that I played has required me to set that up each time. Look for an audio option or something of that sort, on the DVD menu. And set the audio to DTS.

Hope that helps.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Allen Marshall

alright im gonna go try it, is it alrigh to keep dolby digtal and the dts decoder on at the sametime?

13. Allen Marshall

hmm, guess my first post didnt go through, lets try again.

I popped in Twister and went to DTS 5.1 and it works!!

Thanks guys

a couple more questions though

Is DTS gonna stick around?

Are Dolby Digital and DTS the only two?

Did Dolby make DTS?

14. Shiu

Shiu Second Unit

If you have done your setup correctly, i.e. according to your DVD/VCR combo player menu, you will be able to select either Dolby Digital, or DTS from the menu of the DVD movie disc (one that has the DTS option, such as LOTR extended version).

You only have to set up the DVD/VCR combo "player" once, but you do have to select DD, or DTS in the movie's menu every time.

15. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

16. Allen Marshall

Thanks guys!