What's new

How Do I Get Dolby Digital Sound (1 Viewer)

Matthew Todd

Second Unit

Since you have an S-video input on the TV, connect the S-video cable (do you have an S-video cable?) from the DVD player to the TV. That's the only cable you need to connect from the DVD player to the TV.

If you don't have an s-video cable, connect the yellow cord only to the TV. Don't plug the red and white cables into the TV.

Matt

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
there is no S-Video on the dvd player though, or the reciever, but i got the optical wire thing, and when i plugged it it all of a sudden said DD Digital on my dvd player on the screen and on my reciever a bunch of lights turned on that werent before and when i put it on PLII it says DOLBY DIGITAL

i can really tell the difference, it seems more.....articulate i dont know just like, before it would go around the room, but it didnt sound good, it goes around the room now and it sounds good, im excited i would be more excited but i havent gotten a chance to rock it yet.

i got an S-video but unless im blind there is no S-Video on the dvd player or the reciever, i should of checked before i went but oh well, DVD DTS still doesnt work, now that i have optical is there anything i should change on my reciever or dvd player to make it more i dont know, better?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alright i unplugged the red and white from the back of the tv and just left yellow in, i have a question Chris, on my reciever in sound options there's LFE LEVEL i think the option is called when i go into it it says SP LFE and if i click it again it sais HP LFE, i have no idea what they mean except that LFE means low frequency...uh...effect or something, and it gives me an option for both to go from 0 to -20, there both on 0 right now, what sould they be on, if i press forward it goes to 0 if i press back it goes -1, -2, -3, -4 etc which is why im confused if im turning it up, whatever it is, or if im turning it down cause my reciever volume has a - infront of the number and then db (example: -40db), and and another question, Center EQ, for 1khz, 2khz, 10khz etc it gives me options to go from +6 to -6 should i keep them all at 6+, even the 10khz?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
wo wo wo yea yea, sorry, umm now that i got the optical cord do i still need the 2 red and blue cords i got goin from the reciever to the dvd player?

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
and how come they dont tell you to get these when you buy a home theater speaker set, like in my family room i got a kenwood reciever with KLH speakers with a pretty good sony dvd player, and now i want to get a wire for that but why dont they just come with that if its so much better?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

Success! ;)

That's good, so DD should be working fine. You don't need to put it in PLII, just leave it in DD, it should be correct.

Hmm... as for no s-video on the DVD player, that's somewhat strange, but the yellow composite video connection you've got going to the TV should be fine, I wouldn't worry about a thing.

Ok, as for the in-depth adjustments, such as LFE, I was struck off-guard by the two LFE adjustments, and was intrigued to find out. Turns out, (if you look on pg 41 of your manual), that there is a separate adjustment for Headhones (thus the HP), and for the regular speaker setup (SP).

These things vary from company to company, I swear they come up with labels to confuse everyone. I suggest you sit down with the manual and read through it, or find things in the manual when you run into these kinds of problems. They most often clear things up. When they don't (oh boy, I have a marantz, and talk about poor translation of a confusing manual to start with!), then go ahead and ask away.

For the EQ, I would put all the EQs at 0, which is the neutral position.

As for DTS, I quote from the beginner's primer and FAQ:

"2) In your DVD player's digital audio setup menu, you must ENABLE DTS. Dolby digital is on by default, and on 99.9% of players, DTS is NOT turned on from the factory.

3) Select the DTS track in the disc's setup menu.
"

After that, you should be able to get DTS.

As for the red and blue cords from your DVD player to your receiver....sounds like 2/3rds of a component video connection that doesn't go anywhere. You should be able to remove those.

As for volume control, 0 is reference (if you've calibrated, which it sounds like you haven't). That's why when you are below 0, it displays a negative sign, and the numbers get smaller as you increase volume. They are actually getting bigger, but you are in the negative range, so if you are at -40, then you are 40dB from reference. +values go above reference, but are usually VERY loud. Most people don't listen at full reference, because that is *LOUD*.

Last thing, what is your speaker/sub situation. You most likely want to enter the menus (look at the manual to see how), and set all your speakers to SMALL, and let your subwoofer handle all the bass.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
ALRIGHT

feelin good feelin fine my tail is waggin waggin

so, if anything i only need 1 monster cable Chris? or none? does the optical wire do everything that is necessary from dvd player to reciever?

and im talking about optical/coax, why dont they just give you one of those with a speaker set

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
You shouldn't need any more wires. Monster is usually a bit overpriced too, radio shack cables do fine(whilst we often make fun of radioshack electronics, it's a very useful place overall.)

As before, you only need 1 wire from your DVD player to your receiver, and this carries ALL the audio in a single digital stream. The video goes directly to your TV, as you have it now. So everything should be perfect.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
alright i checked out the SP LFE on the manual and it says it gives me a range -20 to 0db yet still doesnt say what high or low is, i would imagine if it says from -20 to 0 they start with the lower to the higher but i can never be sure in this crazy reciever world.

oh yea quick question, how much would a good headset cost for reciever on those nights where i want it to be loud but without people hearin it

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
There are some headphone forums....

Headphones cost anywhere from a few dollars to hundreds (thousands?).

Grados are nice. Sennheissers are nice.

KurtisE

Auditioning
Some of the best forum help I have ever seen. Very encouraging to see this much patience and maturity in a setting like this. My hat is off to you Chris. I learned a lot by the way.

Kurt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks