What's new

How do I get DD 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Vu Tran

Auditioning
I just recently bought a Pioneer VSX-D509S receiver and I can't seem to get DD5.1 out of it. I have an optical cable plugged into the DVD output and receiver input. I'm just starting out and a bit confused. I read the instruction booklet and it says "DD or DTS is automatically detected and lights up in the front panel" but it doesn't. I have a really cheap RCA optical cable and I don't know if that's the problem or what. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Stefan A

Second Unit
This is a common problem when first starting out. There are so many connections and wires. The first thing I would check is the DVD player settings. Look in the DVD player's manual and read the section where it talks about the various setting in the menu. There should be several things you have to specifically set in order to get DD and DTS. Then, make sure all your settings are correct on your receiver - mainly that the DVD player is the source the receiver is reading. In other words, make sure the receiver is on dvd and not cd, tuner, phono - and such.

The optical cable you are using should be fine if it is new. Of course, there is always a chance that it could be defective, but I am betting on DVD player settings.

Tim Kline

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Kline
Yes, I had this problem too at first and it was because of a setting on my DVD player. You have to go into the options menu on your player and look for the audio part, and there you should be able to set it to do 5.1 sound.

I had to set mine to "digital out: on"

DougRuss

Stunt Coordinator
Also, on some DVD's it doesn't Default to DD 5.1. You may have to check the DVD(movie) menu and make sure it is set to 5.1 ?;)

Vu Tran

Auditioning
Hmm those are the exact things I looked for before I came here. I know the Matrix has DD5.1 and the DVD player was set to DD5.1 in the menu. Also the optical setting is on DVD but still no dice. I thought a lot of these things were common sense in a word but maybe it is more complicated than I thought. The DVD player I used was a GE brand which is very cheap but I'll have try my XBOX next after I pick up an advance AV pack. Thanks for you help, guys.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Vu:

It might be your optical connection. Try using an RCA to RCA cable from the Digital Output off the DVD player and plug it into the Digital Input on your receiver.

Parker

Bill Catherall

Screenwriter
Vu - :D I don't mean to laugh at you...I'm laughing because I went through the exact same thing when I hooked up my Pioneer receiver for the first time a couple years ago. The manual is a little misleading about its "automatic detection." Now assuming you have the DVD player hooked up correctly, and that the digital input is set to play to the DVD audio selector (this is adjustable on the Pioneer receivers, you can set any of the digital inputs to play through any of the audio "switches"), then the last thing you need to do is to hit the "surround" button on the remote. Although the receiver auto detects the type of input (5.1, 5.0, 4.0, 2.0, etc.) you actually have to set it to surround mode to take advantage of it. I was on hold with tech support when I made that realization. :D Good luck!

Benny G

Second Unit
I had a little trouble with this at first too.

Here's what I suggest if the other things didn't work.

You can probably choose which audio input you want to use. Be sure you select the optical input, and not analog, etc.

Vu Tran

Auditioning
ahaha I don't mind you laughing.. I think its quite funny myself! :D Anyhow, I just bought an advanced pack for my Xbox and it works like a charm. I just turned the DTS and DD 5.1 on in the Xbox dashboard and I was all set. I tested it out with the Matrix bullet time sequence on the top building. MAN! Awesome stuff! Then I popped in Halo! WOOHOOO! Can't believe I took so long to realize how great 5.1 surround is! Life is good. Thanks again guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks