How do I find out if a DVD is OOP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RobR, Jan 25, 2002.

1. RobR

RobR Second Unit

Where can I visit to determine if a DVD is out-of-print? Are there websites that keep track of OOP titles?

2. rutger_s

rutger_s Supporting Actor

3. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

Often Amazon will continue to list a title that's out of print giving people the opportunity to sell it used or at auction. I've seen that a few times when searching for a film on their site...it clearly says "out of print" where the usual release date information would be...but other than that all the info and picture is still there.

I bought "This Island Earth" on their site (used) this way when the title was officially out of print.

-dave

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

This is the most accurate method I've found:
    Go to DVD wholesaler Image Entertainment's web site.
    Int the top right of the black strip across the top you'll see a link to their "advanced search" function; click it.
    The Advanced Search form comes up, and on the top left of the form you can input the title you want to know the status of. Below the title field, you access a pull-down menu to choose "All" titles, "Active" titles (in-print), "Discontinued" titles (OOP), or "Cancelled" titles (items that were set up as coming soon but never made it to market...listed among these is "Pink Floyd: Pulse", which my wife and her stepdad were eagerly awaiting around a year ago before it was yanked just prior to street date!).
    There are many other options you can fill out, such as studio, screen format, audio format, region code, rating, etc. But they don't much apply to this subject.
    Nothing forces you to fill out the title field. Just hit the [Submit Query] button at the bottom after choosing "Discontinued", and you'll see the first of (at the present time) 82 screens of OOP titles!
    Surf through at your leisure. Cheers,

5. RobR

RobR Second Unit

David,

That is helpful. Thanks.