How do I extract audio files from DVD?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by StephenK, Jul 8, 2003.

1. StephenK

StephenK Stunt Coordinator

I'm looking for a good way to extract (digitally), some audio from one of my DVD musicals. Ultimately, I'd like to mp3 them, but, I'll go through steps. Does anyone have a relatively easy way of doing this? I hope to save only a few songs and not extract the entire audio file from the whole DVD.

I hope this isn't considered piracy/bootlegging in any form as I own the DVD in question and merely want to be able to listen to the songs on the road.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Stephen, because you'd have to break the encryption it's best not to discuss this subject here (unlike CDs and LDs where there's no protection to get 'round). Go to www.dvdrhelp.com instead.

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer

Or stand-alone DVD player audio out to line-in on PC.

Oh my God! A 100% plausible suggestion that (horrors!) uses an .. an .. an ... ANALOG connection?

Also works identically with CDs, LPs, 8-tracks, reel-to-reel, microphones, cassettes ... and no encryption or copy protection needs to be broken. [​IMG]

Guess that means that the MPAA and RIAA are going to try to criminalize those who use analog inputs now.

4. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Is there any reason you couldn't just cue up the DVD in the PC drive and record to your capture software internally? Not rip the track, but just record it like you would by playing a CD in the CDROM and recording from the CD Player slide in the recording control panel?

5. John_Berger

Probably not. The audio is encoded into the VOB files and therefore gets extracted by the DVD software, just like WinAmp plays MP3s. It's not like an audio CD where they have their own audio output, although the SPDIF function might be along those lines.

Some software tools allow the recording of the system's "analog mix" or "What-You-Hear", meaning that anything that is heard through your speakers can be recorded. A duplexing audio card is necessary for this, but most are nowadays.

6. StephenK

All,

Thanks for the replies, I know I can always get the audio out (like John suggested) into the audio card, but I was hoping for a digital solution. Worst case, this is what I'll go with. BTW, I'm trying to record some songs from 1776 to replace my old audio cassette of the film's songs, recorded THROUGH THE MIC, from the TVs speaker... this tape is almost 15 years old. Makes you shudder don't it? [​IMG]

7. John_Berger

Stephen, YGM.

Oh, say do you see what I see.
    Congress sitting here in sweet serenity...

That's my all-time favorite musical.

8. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Stephen, extracting digitally is actually very easy to do and all of the software you need is free anyway. I just can't post about it here. The link I gave above has lots of how-to pages. Either that or mail me.

9. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

10. John_Berger

If you feel the need to ask, you don't understand. [​IMG]

11. Martin Fontaine

Martin Fontaine Supporting Actor

12. StephenK

Rob,

Thanks for the link, been looking through it, and haven't yet found the exact info, but will keep looking.

Ken,

As John said, if ya gotta ask....there's no substitute for hearing Howard Da Silva say, "so tell us, what else does that red-headed tombstone do?"

John, gotta ask, what does YGM stand for?

13. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

YGM = You Got Mail.