How do I download an install version of NS7.02?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Jay H, Apr 21, 2003.

1. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    When you go to Netscape, it'll download a NSSetup which will then start downloading some kind of installable app. This app will then download some humongous sized install app to your PC. I either cannot find this on my machine or the install app deletes it from my harddrive. Anybody know where should I go to look for it? I am on my work PC and installed 7.02 long time ago so it's not in my Recycled Bin and my searching seems to have picked up nothing. I want to burn the actual install program onto a CR-R and then take home cause I'm not downloading 28MB of data on dialup. I'm also not shelling out money to buy a CD when I can make it myself but I can't find either just the install app and don't want to rerun NSSetup for fear that it'll overwrite my current setup and config. If anybody can tell me where NS writes the app too or say a third-party site that just has the downloads, let me know!

Thanks,
    Jay

2. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Jay,

netscape's site allows you to download an offline installer: http://wp.netscape.com/download/full_install.html

Though I would recommend downloading the AOL-free open-source Mozilla (on which netscape is based), which is always a few steps ahead of Netscape.

3. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    Thanks Matt.. On a whim I checked out ftp.netscape.com and it turns out I downloaded the right one, I was just browsing around and saw two files, a NS702base.exe and NSSetupB.exe and it turns out the NSSetupB.exe is the one that you download cause when I clicked on your link and tried to download it, it was the same file...

Is there a comparison chart between NS and Mozilla? I don't keep up with the browser wars and I do like to use my bookmarks from work and send them home. I typically keep my bookmarks at work up to date and then occasionally email them home to update, but at home I'm still running NS 4.79 and have 7.02 at work which seems to be much better (especially the Popup control built in to NS7.02.

Jay

4. Matt DeVillier

Matt DeVillier Supporting Actor

Netscape 7.02 is based on Mozilla 1.02. Netscape takes the Mozilla framework and just adds IM and a few other things. you can have them both installed at the same time and they will use the same profiles. The advantage of using Mozilla is that bugs get fixed quicker (Mozilla is up to version 1.3) and it's AOL-free.