1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

How do I do this?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by JoeHard, Dec 27, 2005.

1. JoeHard

JoeHard Stunt Coordinator

I would like to set up macro's to help my family use Our home theater more easily. My problem is My amp cannot be turned on by remote. I realise I can program the macro to control the other components and turn the amp on manually, but is there some kind of device I can add to power up the amp. Thanks

2. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Your preamp/processor should have some switched outlets on the back that you can plug the amp into. My receiver has this feature and I plug the DVD player into it so when my receiver comes on so does the DVD.

3. JoeHard

Mylan,
    Thanks for Your reply. My pre/pro is a Rotel RSP1066 and doesn't have any outlets. Any oter suggestions?

4. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Ah...No, fresh out

5. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

First: Never *EVER* plug an amp into the ulility outlet on a receiver or pre/pro. Those are intended for low current devices, such as CD players, not for high current devices like amplifiers or TV's. You'll blow the fuse instantly, or worse if there isn't a fuse. Those outlets tend to be rated in the realm of 1A.

Second: There are solutions to your problem. The easiest is to check whether your amp has a "trigger" input. Basically a trigger input is a relay connected to it's internal power circuitry, which will turn it on if you apply 12 volts. Almost all pre/pros include a 12V trigger output, and many amps have a 12V trigger input, but not all. If you're in luck, then all you need is a simple cable and whenever you turn your pre/pro on the amp will turn on too.

If you're not in luck, then you have to do things the hard way. A power-sensing power strip such as this: http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Har...ble/Item/LCG1/ should do the trick for you. When the pre/pro turns on the strip should detect the higher current draw, and automatically power the amplifier's outlet.
    Or you can go with a strip like this: http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=236&ly=h which can switch half of it's outlets using a 12V trigger same as described above. That would be my personal choice, as I like the Panamax surge protectors in general.
    You might also be able to find a remote controlled power strip or outlet, as another option. Of course if you're handy with a soldering iron, it should be a pretty simple affair to make a 12V triggered relay to control power to the amp.

Hope this helps,
    -- Dave

6. Dick Knisely

Dick Knisely Second Unit

Somebody out there must? make a power strip with an IR sensor for remote controll on/off -- but a quick Google search didn't turn it up.

7. JoeHard

Thanks to all for Your help. My amp is an older B&k AV5000 with no 12 volt trigger, although I believe later units did. Looks like the hard way.