What's new

How do I do this? (1 Viewer)

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
I would like to set up macro's to help my family use Our home theater more easily. My problem is My amp cannot be turned on by remote. I realise I can program the macro to control the other components and turn the amp on manually, but is there some kind of device I can add to power up the amp. Thanks

mylan

Screenwriter
Your preamp/processor should have some switched outlets on the back that you can plug the amp into. My receiver has this feature and I plug the DVD player into it so when my receiver comes on so does the DVD.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Mylan,
Thanks for Your reply. My pre/pro is a Rotel RSP1066 and doesn't have any outlets. Any oter suggestions?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
First: Never *EVER* plug an amp into the ulility outlet on a receiver or pre/pro. Those are intended for low current devices, such as CD players, not for high current devices like amplifiers or TV's. You'll blow the fuse instantly, or worse if there isn't a fuse. Those outlets tend to be rated in the realm of 1A.

Second: There are solutions to your problem. The easiest is to check whether your amp has a "trigger" input. Basically a trigger input is a relay connected to it's internal power circuitry, which will turn it on if you apply 12 volts. Almost all pre/pros include a 12V trigger output, and many amps have a 12V trigger input, but not all. If you're in luck, then all you need is a simple cable and whenever you turn your pre/pro on the amp will turn on too.

If you're not in luck, then you have to do things the hard way. A power-sensing power strip such as this: http://www.smarthomeusa.com/Shop/Har...ble/Item/LCG1/ should do the trick for you. When the pre/pro turns on the strip should detect the higher current draw, and automatically power the amplifier's outlet.
Or you can go with a strip like this: http://www.panamax.com/products.cfm?...il&id=236&ly=h which can switch half of it's outlets using a 12V trigger same as described above. That would be my personal choice, as I like the Panamax surge protectors in general.
You might also be able to find a remote controlled power strip or outlet, as another option. Of course if you're handy with a soldering iron, it should be a pretty simple affair to make a 12V triggered relay to control power to the amp.

Hope this helps,
-- Dave

Dick Knisely

Second Unit
Somebody out there must? make a power strip with an IR sensor for remote controll on/off -- but a quick Google search didn't turn it up.

JoeHard

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all for Your help. My amp is an older B&k AV5000 with no 12 volt trigger, although I believe later units did. Looks like the hard way.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks