What's new

how do I do it!? (1 Viewer)

George bone

Agent
I just got my harman kardon avr-65 receiver and was going to hook up the speakers with some speaker wire, I got everything all ready to go and went to hook the speakers in but COULD NOT figure it out. There are these little red and black round knob like things on the back with little holes in the center they screw out a ways then they screw back in, I dont think they come off and thats where the speaker is supposed to go. Please help fast I need music! sorry about the seemingly stupid question, I just couldn't figure it out.
thanks

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Unscrew the black and red nobs. They won't (or shouldn't) come all the way off. Insert the bare speaker wire through the hole in the center of the binding post. Screw the black and red nobs back in tight. Bingo...you now have sound...assuming you have the wire hooked up correctly to your speakers that is.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
George,

Those red and black knobs are called binding posts. When you unscrew them look at the shaft portion, you will notice a hole. Simply strip off about 1/2 inch of wire and insert the bare wire into the hole in the shaft (behind the knob that you loosened) then tighten the knob back up so your wire won't come out. Be sure to not overtighten the binding post.

There are also a few other methods of connecting your speakers to your binding posts, but try this first.

Greg

George bone

Agent
hey thanks man I did try that but maybe I did it to fast or somthing it didn't seem to work but i will try again

George bone

Agent
Ok I tried doing that and the speaker wire just kept falling out I would get it all teh way unscrewed and put in the wire then screw it in all the way and it wouldn't stay

BrianAe

Second Unit
Get banana plugs. Do a search for banana plugs on the forum and the web to find out more. This is arguably the best and easiest way to go.

Ben_Page

Auditioning
Strip off a longer portion of the wire jacket (to expose more bare wire) and try again. OR use Banana Plugs, just do a search at partsexpress.com or Radio Shack to see whats available.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I hope you aren't inserting the wire into the END of the binding post. It goes in the "side" not the end.

If I'm wrong sorry. If you still can't get them to stay, what guage wire are you using? Heck that shouldn't matter, they should tighten down very snug.

DanaA

Screenwriter
And make certain the copper from the two wires don't come in contact with each other whatsoever or with the body of the receiver if at all possible. In other words, when the binding posts are unscrewed, strip off a tiny bit, maybe 1/2 of an inch of the plastic sleeve that covers the wire. Then, insert the bare part of the wire into the opening on the side of the binding post which has been bared by unscrewing the cap as far as it will go. Once this is done, retighten the cap until the wire is firmly held in place by the cap. Make sure no exposed wire comes in contact with other wire, etc. Make sure that you do all of this when the receiver is turned off.

greggor

Second Unit
Real Name
Greg
I think George may be having just a little fun with us! If he can read these responses I am sure he can read his owners manual. ;)

Dave Goff

Agent
I also have HK reciever. There is a hole through the shaft that the red and black knobs screw onto. Screw it out far enough that you can see the hole.

Not wanting the chance of stray wires shorting out I went with banana plugs. They plug into the hole in the back of the red/black knobs.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member

I think that's what he's doing is putting the wire into the banana plug hole on the end of the shaft. What you need to do is put the stripped wire into the hole that goes across through the shaft, then it's obvious, you screw down the knob across the wire.

George bone

Agent
finally got that shit. didn't even notice that there was another way i thought it went into the end. thank you all, and my manual didn't say a godamn thing about actually wiring the speakers in.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks