What's new

How do I disconnect the SVM of my TV? (1 Viewer)

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
I keep hearing of the benefits of disconnecting this - how do I do it? I have a Sony KP-61V80.
Thanks,

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dave,
Put the set in "movie" mode in the video adjustment menu--SVM is always off in movie mode, and you can go ahead and adjust all the other parameters in movie mode to suit your taste.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Steve!
Does SVM contribute to halos and beams seen on movies?
I guess I'll be finding out.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
SVM will show up as tiny "ghost lines" outlining darker objects on lighter backgrounds.
The problems you describe will usually be minimized by turning down your contrast setting. They are primarily caused by internal reflections in the set when extrememly bright things like candleflames are shown against dark backgrounds. Decreasing the intensity of these bright objects by turning down contrast will help minimize the internal reflections. If you haven't already, I'd strongly suggest you get a copy of the AVIA dvd and calibrate your set.
Some people have lined their rptvs with black Duvetyne and made lens hoods to shield the crts to minimize internal reflections. I've never done it myself, so don't know if it's worth the trouble or risk of damaging the set.
------------------
Steve S.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
My TV has been carefully calibrated with Avia. However, I'm still seeing "ray beams" from brighter objects in darker seens. While this problem isn't severe, it's noticable and a bit distacting.
My TV still has six months left on the factory warranty and am thinking about calling Sony in regards to this.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Also,
The brightness level seems to affect the ray beams more so than the contrast. However, both levels are set at the proper levels for optimum viewing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Dave,
This may be the "banding" problem that seemed to plague Sony for a while. If the rays are like a horizontal bright smear across dark areas with bright objects in them, I think that's banding.
If it's just a sort of halo-like glow, it's pretty much a normal characteristic of most all rptvs, I had a bit of it on my rptv, not really bad, and just lived with it.
Almost all rptvs have one minor defect or another, whether it's the red push on Mits, banding on Sony, etc.
------------------
Steve S.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks