What's new

How do I disable SVM on Toshiba 27A42 ? (1 Viewer)

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
The TV seems ok, and we bought it because it was flatter than the JVC D series, but there is a weird quality to the images that I am not happy with. How do I disable SVM (Scan Velocity Modulation) on this TV?

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Hi Chris.
Does this set have a movie / theater mode? If so this will disable SVM. If not you will have to remove the rear cover on the set and find the correct wire. It will be attached to the gun.

Best of luck!

Gregg

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I don't think this TV has a movie theater mode. If it does, what do I do to disable the SVM mode?

How do I know which wire to remove? I am pretty sure this TV has SVM. I'll check the ads and info again. If I knew I'd have to do this, I would have skipped it and bought the JVC D series 27". The Toshiba has a nice flat screen for a conventional "non-flat" CRT TV tube.

Thanks for the info.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
chances are the JVC has it too

IF your TV has a theater / movie mode, just switch to that and you will be all set.

As far as the SVM wire is concerned, not sure. Toshiba sets have it as a yellow and white wire, that originates on the neck of the gun and will terminate on a board close to the gun. Do so at your own risk :)

Gregg

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I have a theatre mode on my 32" JVC D series TV but I can't remember noticing anything peculiar in difference between the theatre and non-theatre modes. The theatre mode is dark, but I have my own CHOICE mode which is similar in brightness and contrast. My D series TV is sharp so I'd be surprised if it has SVM, but you never know. Can't remember it being mentioned in the JVC literature.

The Toshiba, on the other hand, I know that it does have SVM. Its picture has something kooky about it, and I suspect that its the SVM. Thanks for the help.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Hmm. Well that makes me even more unsure whether I want to get the Tosh 27"er. I've been eyeing this set, but the difficulty of getting rid of VSM and using the compression mode doesn't seem worth it. :/

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Compression mode? I bought this set for someone else as a gift and the flat screen was a selling point for me. I am really picky for picture quality though, so perhaps its not all that bad to other people.

What is the compression deal??

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Have you calibrated the set with Avia? That can make a good bit of difference in the picture quality especially if the factory defaults are what are being used.

Compression "mode" via the user menu doesn't exist on this Toshiba as far as I know but you can do it via the service menu by squeezing the raster via the correct service menu parameters. One does this so that the full resolution can be used when viewing 16x9 dvds. One has to also put the dvd player into 16x9 mode - thus the dvd player won't downconvert things to a 4x3 letterboxed image. This gains you ~33 percent more resolution over the downconverted letterboxed image.

cheers,

--tom

DavidY

Supporting Actor
This compression is also called the anamorphic squeeze. A couple changes in my JVC AV-32D201's service menu and I get a great picture...no more jaggies from downconversion. I believe that these parameters have changed for the newer models.

For more info, do a search for "JVC anamorphic squeeze."

Dave

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
I do the anamorphic squeeze on my JVD too. It works ok and does look good, but the geometry is not correct. If you look at the THX circle for 16:9 its oval and not round. Its not off by a huge amount though, so you don't really notice it. I'd like to fix that.
I haven't calibrated with AVIA yet. The owner does not have a DVD player yet. I might hook up my DVD player briefly to see what I can do.
HOW DO I GET INTO THE SERVICE MENU FOR THE TOSHIBA 27A42???
Thanks for the help folks :)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I'm interested as well.. and I'll give this thread one last breath. :) If no one around here knows, [we] may as well try some other forums and make some connections. :)

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Hmmm, I wrote those instructions :) I guess the Keohi site must have grabbed 'em off of here and posted them on their site.
They are for the 20AF41 and 24AF41 but if they work for the 27A42 (or is it the 27AF42??) as well that is good to know. I also own an older 27A40 and I know for a fact it's service menu code is different than our 20AF41.
The one thing those instructions don't mention, at least for the 20AF41, is that some parameters in the service menu were input specific. So, depending on what input you were on when you went into the menu, some parameters' values would be different. Grayscale and geometry were global though (the ones I was interested in).
As for how to disable SVM, I never figured it out for the 20AF41. I would recommend trying to get a hold of the actual service manual. Toshiba lists parts suppliers on their web site and they may sell or supply the service manual. I got one for my 27A40 by ordering it online from one of these companies. Just be aware that calling these documents "manuals" is a stretch :) They are not well written and there is a good chance after reading it, you still won't know which variable controls SVM (like me with the 20AF41 :) ). For me though, I made sure I had the manual in front of me and I wrote down all settings before changing anything.
cheers,
--tom

errol

Stunt Coordinator
Hi ThomasL,

Yes, thanks again for sending it to me.

Fellow Tosh owners appreciate your help.

r,
Errol

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Brutal. OK, well, I am losing interest in disabling the SVM. I should have gotten a D series JVC 27". Oh well. The Toshiba looks ok and is flat. My sister is ok with it. If anyone has any advice on how to disable SVM, let me know, but at this point, I'm not motivated to get a manual only to find out I still have no idea how to disable SVM. Should I even bother contacting Toshiba?

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Errol, thanks for jogging my memory! :)
With regard to SVM, I doubt Toshiba will know anything unless you were to get someone technical on the phone and they also probably won't give this information out to anyone but technicians and maintenance personnel. If you calibrate with Avia and lower sharpness way down, you should somewhat tame SVM I believe or at least make the edge enhancement less noticeable.
cheers,
--tom

VictorB

Auditioning
I also have a Toshiba 27A42 which I also bought for it's almost flat screen and component inputs. However it has some geometry problems which I'd like to try to correct. The top inch of the screen seems a little compressed vertically, and there is some slight bowing in vertical lines on the left side of the screen. Is this something that can be fixed via the service menu? If so can someone with an 27A42 tell me how to get in? I tried the directions on the Keohi site for the 24AF41 but they didn't work for the 27A42.

Thanks,

Victor

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
I just recently bought a 27A32 for the basement and what works on the 20AF41 works on the 27A32. I also tried it on a 27A62 at the local Best Buy and it worked so I can't imagine it not working on the 27A42.

btw, I picked up the 27A32 because, for the life of me, I could not figure out the difference between the 27A42 and the 27A32 other than the placement of the speakers and it may have a 3 line as opposed to a 2 line digital comb filter. Everything else seemed the same. Does the 27A42 have a color temperature control? Toshiba listed this as a feature on their web site but I could not find it on the 27A62 so I assumed the 27A42 did not have it. I didn't actually get a chance to see the 27A42 since Best Buy did not have any demo model set up.

cheers,

--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks