What's new

How do I disable MS Webserver in WinXP? (1 Viewer)

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Something has grabbed Port 80 (or 8080) and is preventing me from running MediaJukebox's WebRemote program. I suspect that it is Microsoft's Webserver program, but I have no idea how to determine whether it is running and, if so, how to disable it or set it to another port.

Remember, I only 1/2 know what I'm asking, so be gentle.

Thanks guys . ..

- Ken

Mike Gates

Auditioning
Dreasys Software Advanced Net Tools 2.7, it will allow you to perform a net/port scan that will tell you exactly what is grabbing that port along with many other great networking functions. You should be able to find on download.com.

Ken Woodrow

Stunt Coordinator
Success! I used DreamSys' NetTools to determine that Port 80 was being used by Internet Explorer. I then used ZoneAlarm Pro (which I use as a software firewall for my cable modem connection) to block IE's access to port 80. Only then was I able to open the WebRemote plugin in Media Jukebox and change its port assignment to 8080. After I did that, I gave back IE access to port 80, and everything works as it should.
Bear in mind, I have only a limited conceptual understanding of what I was doing, but it was enough to bluff my way through it. LOL
Why, you wonder, do I care about being able to use MJ's WebRemote program? Because I can now use a cool little app called Glissando (Link Removed) to access MJ's features from any computer on the network, with a simple, attractive UI.
- Ken

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks