How do I disable MS Webserver in WinXP?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ken Woodrow, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Ken Woodrow

Ken Woodrow Stunt Coordinator

Something has grabbed Port 80 (or 8080) and is preventing me from running MediaJukebox's WebRemote program. I suspect that it is Microsoft's Webserver program, but I have no idea how to determine whether it is running and, if so, how to disable it or set it to another port.

Remember, I only 1/2 know what I'm asking, so be gentle.

Thanks guys . ..

- Ken

2. Mike Gates

Mike Gates Auditioning

Dreasys Software Advanced Net Tools 2.7, it will allow you to perform a net/port scan that will tell you exactly what is grabbing that port along with many other great networking functions. You should be able to find on download.com.

3. Ken Woodrow

Excellent suggestion -- I'll give it a try tonight. You guys rock, btw.

- Ken

4. Ken Woodrow

Success! I used DreamSys' NetTools to determine that Port 80 was being used by Internet Explorer. I then used ZoneAlarm Pro (which I use as a software firewall for my cable modem connection) to block IE's access to port 80. Only then was I able to open the WebRemote plugin in Media Jukebox and change its port assignment to 8080. After I did that, I gave back IE access to port 80, and everything works as it should.
    Bear in mind, I have only a limited conceptual understanding of what I was doing, but it was enough to bluff my way through it. LOL
    Why, you wonder, do I care about being able to use MJ's WebRemote program? Because I can now use a cool little app called Glissando (screenshot here) to access MJ's features from any computer on the network, with a simple, attractive UI.
    - Ken