how do I delete/uninstall windows media player 9?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MikeH1, Jul 23, 2003.

1. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

I have WMP9 and its kind of a mess. I have been doing some cleaning up and decided the best thing to do would be to get rid of it, download it again and let it search my pc for files. I always get a problem of when adding files to WMP it repeats those files in the playlist. So even though I only have one copy of a song, WMP puts it in 3 times. A real pain!

I have deleted many songs by file, not using WMP. I want to start over with a clean slate with WMP and organize things new. But I can't find where to delete it from the pc. I deleted some shortcuts but its not in my uninstall area. Any suggestions?

2. John*Jones

John*Jones Stunt Coordinator

Yikes, this article certainly isn't encouraging. However, if it is a recent install, perhaps you could try Microsoft's recommendation: System Restore.

3. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Good luck with that one! I have been unable to remove it, but it doesn't do very much on my system. This is what I did

I went into tools, folder options, file types from the explorer menu. Whenever you see a wmp icon, right click on it and change the association so that another program will bring it up. You'll have to go through all of them, but when you get done, it just won't go.

Glenn

4. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Unreal. Thanks for the article John, at first I thought it was me and that I couldn't find it. But I should have known better, another one of Microsofts tricks. I guess I'll just have to spend the time deleting...and cleaning it up manually. A much bigger task than it needs to be.

Good suggestion Glen but I really like WMP9 and want to continue using it, I just wanted to clean things up the easy way. I'll keep that in mind though.

5. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Ok, I missed/messed that one up! I don't use it but MS would probably record all of the changes and put them into a file in the WMP folder. That you should be able to delete, or at the least, rename. Just look for a file with a recent date on it.

If you can't delete it try to rename it, and just change the last three letters. When you start WMP up it should do a new search, and clean up the mess!

Glenn

6. Rob Gardiner

Rob Gardiner Cinematographer

Michael,

You could always leave Windows MP installed, so that you have all the codecs that come with it, but use another media player suchas WINAMP or ZOOM PLAYER for actually playing files. I use Winamp for audio and Zoom for video, although you can use just one or the other. I understand there is an open source "Media Player 6.4" which resembles MS Media Player, but without all the bloat. Also, do you have a DVD drive on your PC? PowerDVD can play most media files, and I wouldn't be surprised if WinDVD had the same capability. Best of luck!

7. Grant B

Grant B Producer

Tweak Xp has the ability to turn off the media player