How do I cut down on # of processes being run?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Frank Grimes, Jan 7, 2005.

1. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

My PC is running noticeable slower than it should. Going to Task Manager, I see that 42 processes are being run, which seems quite a bit higher than should be considering I'm just using WinAmp and Firefox right now. CPU usage is at 100% with a P4 2.8Ghz and 512 RAM. How can I fix this and how do I know which processes can't be stopped without screwing up PC usage?

Another question that may be related. I've been running AdAware pretty often, yet immediately after rebooting my computer so as to let it remove all found spyware etc, ISTBAR and AdRotator keep coming back with a vengeance even when I haven't visited any sites outside of CNN/ESPN/other such very mainstream sites.

2. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

CPU usage is always at 100%? Yikes! Any processes that you see under the computer's name (i.e., Frank Grimes), you can terminate except for explorer.exe. Processes that run under Local Service, Network Service, or System should not be messed with unless you are absolutely sure about what you are doing. Use the Startup Control Panel to stop programs from loading at startup.

3. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

Frank,

Adaware isn't comprehensive, none of the anti-spyware programs are. I have a lot of experience with spyware as I end up doing patrol duty on the shared workstations here at work.

Go through your add/remove programs and uninstall anything you don't recognize.

I recommend a download of spybot Search and destroy, and webroot spy sweeper to complement adaware. Run all three after you have uninstalled what you can.

4. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Also, boot into safe mode and run adaware and S&D. Some spyware installs itself in system folders that can't normally be changed, so you have to do it in safe mode.

5. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

I frequently have a "System Idle Process" that eats 90-93% of CPU time.

What is that?

Edit: Never mind... [​IMG]

6. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

System Idle Process is resources that are not currently being used. So if you see this at 93%, it means only 7% of the machine resources are in use at that time.

7. Robert James Clark

Robert James Clark Second Unit

Thanks!

8. Frank Grimes

Frank Grimes Second Unit

The remove programs dealy in control panel is shit. I spent 10 minutes going through what I didn't recognize and in trying to remove them it would either freeze or even give me a runaround to other websites (DMVLite, of which there's a long process to go through to remove manually). Color me irritated.

9. MikeH1

MikeH1 Screenwriter

Time for a reformat. Your getting hammered with all types of malware and its a bitch to get rid of effectively. Just when you think you have it all under control its rears its ugly head again. Trust me, I went through this for days using many many spyware type programs and virus scanners and the like.

Check out these forums though, they should help.

The website was just down for me so maybe give it some time until its back up.

edit: link edited.

10. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator

For the spyware or adware you can't seem to remove, check out the forums at freedomlist.com. If you go here:

http://www.freedomlist.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17328

they have directions for posting your adaware log, and they will help you remove whatever you have. You may want to download and run hijackthis and give that a shot too.

For the processes, check out the black viper site here:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Lot's of good info on processes, and speeding up your computer.

11. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    By chance do you have a Dell PC? If so, they (Dell) load these machines up with so much crap that runs in the background...

12. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you want to get adventurous before resorting to a reformat, you can also try HiJack This! It will show you everything that is loading on your PC and allow you to remove most items. Beware, though, if you don't know what you are doing you can really screw up your machine.

I used the above tool to identify one particularly nasty piece of malware that the more common tools (Adaware, Spybot, etc.) couldn't find. One last item required manual removal, though -- some malicious code had named itself winlogon.exe as a hidden file in my system32 folder (there was the Microsoft version of the file and this malware version, too).

13. Stephen Cook

Stephen Cook Auditioning

You also might try this beta software from MS . . .
    microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&DisplayLang=en

This software is actually software that a company called " Giant " developed , and MS has bought it from them , or has bought Giant . . . I don't really know for sure...lol
    However , the software found things on my machine that spybot and adware se both missed

14. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

My mother's PC seems to be having the same symptoms as Frank's but her explorer.exe is the culprit. It goes right to 90-99% usage on startup. I tried running ad-aware but the PC shut itself down ( a Windows Messengere message popped up telling me I had 30 secs before the PC shut down.)

15. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

That sounds suspiciously like that virus that was running around last year (I forget the name). I saw that happen on the PCs at work and on my wife's PC. I did also see a PC at work so badly infested with spyware that it did the same RPC shutdown, though.

Is her windows patched and up-to-date? Ditto for her virus protection?

16. Jeremy K

Jeremy K Stunt Coordinator