How do I correct overscan on a Pioneer SD532-HD5

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Drea Bruss, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Just recently picked up this set; and while setting it up with Avia I noticed on the overscan test pattern that my overscan is as follows:
    Top - 10%
    Bottom - 1%-2%
    Left - 5%-6%
    Right - 1%-2%
    The one that really bothers me is the top. It is very noticeable while watching 2.35:1 movie as the letterbox bar on the bottom looks twice the size of the one on the top. I've also noticed on 1.85:1 stuff that peoples heads are being cutoff. Not that it probably matters, but I've got a Panny RP-91 hooked to it via component cables.
    Thanks for any help......
    Drea

2. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Drea,
    Try this link for info on your set especially the link to the service manual.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

3. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Thanks Errol, but the service manual really dosen't tell me much, either that or I don't understand it. Has anybody actually corrected overscan on this set, that can just walk me through the steps.
    I'd appreciate the help.
    Drea

4. Matt Taylor

Matt Taylor Stunt Coordinator

Drea,
    I am having this same problem with my SD532-HD5. I am curious to hear anyone's solution as well.
    Matt

5. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    I am NOT an expert, but I’ve adjusted the overscan on my Elite 610 using the service manual instructions. It’s not too hard once you get the hang of it. I have the pdf copy of the manual in front of me, but not the TV, so I’ll try to describe this as best I can with reference to the manual. Also make sure to read all the other notes on the appropriate manual pages.
    Adjusting Overscan
    1. Put Avia or Video Essentials DVD in your player with the overscan pattern.
    2. Enter the service mode (“1st FACTORY ADJ” mode) as shown on page 198 (6 of 27 in the pdf file). This involves using a thin rod (I used a small nail) to press the switch in the small hole on the front panel of the set just below the screen.
    3. Choose the right screen mode using the SCREEN key on your TV remote – if you have the RP91 then you’re probably using the “FULL” mode all the time.
    4. On page 204 (12 of 27 in pdf file) the instructions are shown for setting the H Size (press ANT) and V Size (press ANT then 2), then use the volume +/- keys to adjust the size.
    5. Turn off TV to save settings and exit the service mode. [/list=a]
      Note that this is only one type of adjustment. The manual goes on to describe how to do a service level convergence (coarse and fine) and adjust geometry to fix bending lines, etc. You may want to adjust some of that stuff too when you get more comfortable in there.
      Your user settings for things like brightness, contrast, etc, and any user-level convergence settings will all be wiped out after being in the service mode. And changing the H-Size and V-Size will require you to re-converge anyway. So other adjustments will be needed.
      To be sure, the manual is a little cryptic for the average person like us. But if you go slowly and read instructions carefully you should be able to do it.
      Another tweak I made was to change the gray side bars to black by lowering the panel brightness and contrast settings, using the instructions on page 216 (24 of 27 in the pdf file). Not as big a deal now that I have the RP91 which supplies its own black side bars for 4:3 material, but I still can use it for TV if I really want to use NORMAL instead of NATURAL WIDE. The gray side bars were really distracting to me.
      DISCLAIMER : If you're not careful there are probably things you can do in the service mode that will really screw things up. Adhere closely to instructions, don't wander around poking buttons, and proceed at your own risk, I'm not liable, yada, yada... [​IMG]
      [Edited last by Glenn Heberle on August 16, 2001 at 10:38 AM]

6. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Thinking about it some more, I realize that your overscan amounts are greatly different between top and bottom, so the H/V-Size adjustments alone may not work for you since it adjusts both top and bottom or right and left at the same time. Mine weren't that different.
    I'm not sure of the best way to adjust only one end of horizontal or vertical size. As different as yours are you may want to get a service technician to come out and adjust it closer to give you a reasonable baseline first.
    Maybe somebody else can shed some more light on this.

7. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Thanks for the help Glenn. The overscan numbers I stated I was doing from memory. So I'll check them again, so I'm not mis-stating myself.
    [Edited last by Drea Bruss on August 16, 2001 at 02:59 PM]

8. errol

errol Stunt Coordinator

Hi Drea,
    From what I remember, I think the instructions to adjust the overscan on your set is around page 10 of the service manual link above similar to Glenn's excellent instructions.
    Thanks,
    Errol
    ------------------
    Keohi HDTV
    Your Friendly HDTV Tips Site

9. MarcS

MarcS Stunt Coordinator

I have an SD582 and notice the same problem, although I think it may be more of a vertical position issue than overscan--for the reason given, that it's very unsymmetrical.
    There is a horizontal position adjustment, but apparently no vertical position adjustment (I noticed the HPOS problem on Apocalypse Now, it was shifted to the left I believe, some of the credits were off the screen).
    Every once in a while I read thru the service manual to see if I might have missed a way to adjust vertical position--but so far still don't see a way to do it.
    Maybe an ISF guy will read this thread and comment?
    Also, about 1.85 movies with heads cut off, it may just be the way the movie was framed? I may be technically inaccurate, but if the OAR was different than 1.85, but it was "forced" into 1.85, the top may be cut off slightly? I read about it in another thread, but obviously didn't pay close enough attention to the details...
    Count me in on a solution for this issue though...

10. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Rechecked the overscan numbers and they aren't quite as bad as I originally stated. They are as follows:
    Top ~6%
    Bottom ~1%
    Left ~3%
    Right ~0%-1%
    I'd still like to fix the top number a bit but the others aren't to bad. Something strange I did noticed last night was that I popped the RP-91 out of progressive mode and the image shift towards the top of the screen corrected itself. I remember reading something, that I think Obi mentioned with his Elite that he adjusted when he first got his RP-91. Is there some adjustment that would correct this shift when the TV sees this particular scanning frequency??
    Again many thanks.
    Drea

11. Drea Bruss

Drea Bruss Extra

Any thoughts on the whole scanning rate thing??
    Drea